Ch 42: So It Begins (Gene)

I rolled over in bed, slipping an arm around Shannon's shoulder and moving my hand from her chest to her waist. "Hey Shan," I murmured. "Uh-huh?" "Shannon what the hell are we doing?" I asked after a pause. She rolled over, giving me a confused look. "What do you mean?"

"I mean what the hell are we doing? We're completely different people, from completely different backgrounds. I'm a rock star now and I'm about to go on tour tomorrow and you're raising our son and our newborn daughter and I just...you found out we were having a second baby the same day you found out I had been...cheating on you. I just...what the hell are we doing? Or really more what the hell are you doing stuck with me?"

There was a long pause before Shannon let out a sigh, leaning against my shoulder. "I'll tell you what the hell I'm doing stuck with you," she said, before taking a deep breath. "I'm stuck with you because I love you, dammit! Yeah you fucked up and yeah you've made mistakes, but who the hell hasn't? I had another baby with you because I wanted to! I want to have a family with you! We're different people, sure, but that doesn't matter, because we love each other. We're a husband and wife, a father and mother, we're a team, and a pretty damn good one too."

"Shannon--" I started, but she put a hand on my mouth. "Shh! I'm not finished yet! You listen to me, Gene Simmons. I love you, alright? I really, really love you. You cemented yourself in my heart as the best husband I could ask for when you made it across the country in four hours when I was giving birth to Nick. Yeah you kissed a bunch of groupies behind my back, but I've forgiven you and moved on. It's okay. So yeah, that's what the hell I'm doing stuck with you," she murmured.

I held her closer against me, giving her a kiss. "Fucking hell I don't deserve a wife like you." She smiled in the dark, kissing me back before resting her head on my shoulder. "No you do not," she teased. "But really Gene, I do love you. That's why I married you and have two kids with you, you dumbass." I grinned in spite of myself. "Shannon Lee you are the whole package, you know that? Smart and kind and gorgeous and simply the most perfect woman in the world."

"I did know that," she said with a grin, and I felt my heart absolutely melt. "I'm sorry I have to go to Europe tomorrow." She laughed, snugging up against me. "I know, me too. But I'm not taking a newborn baby to Europe. Go have fun and make me proud and don't you dare hook up with any groupies." 

"Shannon I swear on my life I'll never do that again," I said softly. "I know." 

None of us said a whole lot on the flight out of the country. Eric was upset about having to leave Carrie and Charlie behind, Paul was upset about leaving Eric, Bruce was upset about leaving Lisa, and I was upset about leaving Shannon and Nick and Sophie. 

All of us were grateful for the opportunity to set up for a soundcheck and just lose ourselves in some songs. "So how's your newborn?" I asked, tuning my bass and giving Eric a grin. He let out a yawn but smiled. "Charlie is so fucking precious and I love him. But losing sleep has been real rough." "Damn, I bet, especially for you, since you love your sleep so much," Bruce said with a grin. "That's why I'm not planning on having any kids."

"Yeah, yeah, it'll be worth it though. How about your newborn?" "Sophie's my second kid, I know what I'm doing. Me and Shannon are chilling," I said. Paul burst into laughter. "Bullshit you're chilling! You know how many times you've bitched to me about how much you missed sleeping? And free time? And everything like that?" "Okay, whatever, shut up. Let's just play," I muttered. 

Bruce meshed really well with the group and the sound check was one of the best we had had in a long time, largely due to the fact we were all sober. Finally, I signaled for us to stop. "Alright, hey, nice! We sound pretty good together!" "We sound really good together, shut up. Bruce is a perfect fit!" Paul said, and Bruce just smiled happily. 

There was a loud clang as Eric sat down abruptly, leaning heavily on his drum kit. "Hey, you good?" Bruce asked, brow instantly furrowing in concern.  Eric blinked, shaking his head, before giving us a grin. "Yeah, yeah, I just stood up too fast I guess. Got a little lightheaded, but I'm fine!" he said with a laugh. "Well, watch it. We need you healthy for the tour," I said. Eric grinned, waving his hand dismissively. "Shut up, I'm fine! It's just like iron deficiency or whatever! Trust me, I'm not going anywhere. I have a wife and kid to think about too you know." 

"Just watch yourself. If you feel worse tell someone," Bruce said, and Paul and I nodded in agreement. "Yeah, seriously man." Eric threw up his hands in exasperation. "Damn, I got lightheaded once! I just stood up too fast, that's it! Sheesh, I didn't realize Bruce joining the band would mean everyone would suddenly become my mom," he teased. 

I shook my head, giving him a thin smile. "Hey, we just want you to be safe and happy and have a long, healthy life. You've got a wife and son now, don't forget that!" Eric let out a sigh, running a hand through his hair. "I know, I know, and I can't believe I have to leave them already." "It's just for a month! Then we're back home and she can come on tour with us. That's what I'm planning on doing with Shannon and Nick and Sophie." 

"Oh, perfect!" he said happily.