Ch 20: Please Can We Talk? (Paul)

Eric hadn't said anything to me all day other than just threatening to beat me up if I ruined the wedding and flipping me off as he walked off to be a groomsman. And I mean yeah I was absolutely devastated by that, but I didn't want to ruin the wedding. So I just kept my distance, waiting for an opportunity to catch him alone and talk to him.

Finally, I had my chance, when the wedding was over and I was able to find him alone by the bar. His smile immediately vanished as I walked over to him. "Hey, can I talk to you?" I asked quietly. He gave me a flat look, accepting another margarita from the bartender. "No. I need to help arrange for everything to get cleaned up with Bruce and Tommy, sorry," he said carelessly.

My heart sank. "I can wait," I mumbled. He rolled his eyes, exchanging a wordless glance with the bartender before rising to his feet, draining his glass. "Well you can wait outside. The venue's closed, everyone else has gone home," he said, almost angrily, before walking off. Nodding to myself, I walked toward the doors. Gene was just getting into his car when he saw me. "Hey, you heading home?" he asked.

I shook my head. "No, I'm gonna wait for Eric. Peter and Ace leave?" He nodded, giving me a faint smile. "Yeah. And Shannon wants me home so I'm heading out too. I'll see you later." "Yeah, see you later. Tell her I say hi."

He drove off, meaning I was left alone, waiting in the cold.

I probably sat there for about two hours, hoping desperately he wouldn't sneak out the back or something. It wasn't like him, but I had pissed him off to the point I wouldn't be surprised if he did it. The door swung open at last and I rose to my feet, running a hand through my hair. He stared at me in surprise. "You're still here," he said bluntly.

I nodded, feeling my face burning. "I wanted to talk to you. Can...we? Talk, I mean." Eric heaved a sigh. "Alright, fine. You've waited here for like two hours, I'll talk with you. What do you want to talk about?" he asked, giving me a flat look.

"I...I miss you. And I'm sorry for what I've done to hurt you. I really do want to date you again, if we did I promise I wouldn't make the same mistakes and--" He held up a hand, cutting me off. "Look, Paul. You say you won't make the same mistake, but look at what you did tonight! You showed up without telling anyone, without even texting me or something, and you didn't bring a gift! Who the hell shows up to a wedding without a gift?! And especially you! You're in one of the most popular bands right now, you're a millionaire! And you've always been rich, so you really have no excuse!" he shouted.

I winced, running a hand through my hair again. "I'm sorry, I was going to get him something later, I just didn't have time before. Please Eric I really love you, can we please just give it a try again?" There was a long pause before he shook his head. "I'm sorry Paul. But not now. I want to date Paul Stanley, not the Starchild. I want to date the old Paul, the one who I fell head-over-heels in love with after one fucking conversation at the bar. That's not who you are right now."

My face fell and my heart sank but I just nodded, because he was right. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry I've hurt you." He put a hand on my shoulder, giving me a sad look. "Don't apologize, Paul. Make a change. I'll see you later, alright?"

"Yeah. Thanks for talking with me. I'll see you later," I mumbled. His hand moved down my arm, catching my hand and giving it a squeeze before letting go and walking off without another word. I heaved a sigh, driving home and wishing there was more I could've done to show I was changing. Or at least trying to change.

I got home to an empty house and opened the door with a sigh, sitting on my couch and grabbing a guitar, strumming softly before starting to play.

"Ain't it funny how the time slips away
'Cause now I'm leavin' and I wish I could stay
People wonder why they don't get a chance
They wait for music but they don't get to dance

Mmm
Well now I know when my work is through
I'm gonna be with you

So goodbye
Is only for now
'Cause I'm comin' back
I swear it somehow

Ain't it funny how we win but we lose
We're given prizes that we don't get to use
People wonder 'bout the things that we've got
It seems so little but we know it's a lot

Now I know when my work is through
I'm gonna be with you, oh yeah

So goodbye
Is only for now
'Cause I'm comin' back
I swear it somehow

Oh, goodbye
Is only for now
'Cause I'm comin' back
I swear it somehow

Sing it
I'm on the run
So I must go
And I hate to leave
I hope that you know

Oh, goodbye
Is only for now
'Cause I'm comin' back
I swear it somehow..."

I trailed off, fighting back tears before just giving up and letting them roll down my face. I hated it, I hated being alone, but I was alone. Gene, Peter, Ace and Eric were all married to someone, Bruce and Tommy had girlfriends, I was the only one alone besides Eric, but he didn't even seem to be that bothered by the fact. Or maybe he was and I was just too blind to see.

"Dammit Eric I'm sorry," I muttered, reaching for my phone to send him a text before setting it right back down. The last thing I wanted to do was be overly desperate and bother him. He had clearly shown he didn't want to talk to me earlier, so why would he want to talk to me now?

"I'll make it up to him. I'll find a way to make it up to him," I whispered to myself, wiping away tears with a balled fist.