Ch 21: Tell Me What You Want (Gene)

I ran a hand through Shannon's hair, giving her a kiss. "Alright love I'm going to head out for practice, I'll see you in about two or so hours," I murmured, heading for the door. My hand was on the knob when she let out a soft sigh. 

"I wish you still loved me," she said quietly. I turned around, giving her a horrified look. "W-what? What do you mean?! I do love you, you mean everything to me!" I cried. "I-I know I fucked up but I swear, I swear on my life I still love you, I'll never do what I did again, you're the only woman I love." 

"You don't show it. It's been months since we've done anything together, since you've even made dinner. You're never home. And when you are, you're too tired to do anything with Nick. He misses having his dad home to play with. He misses how you would read him bedtime stories. He misses how you would take him to fun places."

My heart sank and I felt sick. "Shannon you know I've been--" "Busy. I know. But how long are you going to be busy? I just want you home," she murmured, hugging herself and looking like she was about to cry. "I'm sorry. I wish there was something I could do." "There is, Gene. Take a break. Stop touring so much. Stop practicing so much. Come home and be a father and a husband."

I walked over toward her, slipping my arms around her waist and pulling her into a kiss. "I will. And I'm so sorry." "You always say that," she said, pushing me away. "But you never mean it." "W-what? What do you mean, I never mean it?" "I mean you always say you're sorry, that you'll change, but you never do. It's been the same shit this whole time. The same shit every time." 

I took her hand, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear and locking eyes with her. "Shannon Lee Tweed-Simmons, I swear on my life I'll be the husband you deserve and the father that our children deserve," I murmured. "Look, I'll come home from practice and the three of us will go out for dinner, how about that? And then you can take the night off and put your feet up and relax and I'll put Nick to bed and then you and I can watch a movie or something." 

She gave me a small smile, eyes still sad, but nonetheless kissed me on the cheek. "I'm looking forward to it. Don't let me down, alright? You're still on very thin ice," she murmured, tugging at a loose strand of hair before pushing me toward the door. "Now get out of here!" I gave her one last kiss before regretfully heading to practice. 

I didn't really pay much attention to what was going on, just waited for the hours to pass before finally heading back home. Nick ran into my arms as soon as I stepped in the door, giving me a huge smile. "Dada! Mama said dinner!" he said eagerly. I scooped him up, spinning him around before hugging him. "Yeah buddy! The three of us are going to go out to dinner, does that sound fun?" He nodded, eyes shining. "Yeah!" 

"So where do you want to go for dinner?" I asked. "Dona's!" he said, hugging me as I walked up the stairs, slipping my free arm around Shannon's waist and pulling her into a kiss. "Hey love! You ready for dinner?" She smiled, leaning against me and giving Nick a kiss on the cheek. "I am absolutely ready for dinner. Where are you taking us?" "Well your son wants to go to McDonald's," I murmured with a grin.

Shannon just laughed, shaking her head. "I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm fine with that. I've been craving some chicken nuggets," she said, placing a hand absentmindedly on her stomach. Grinning, I kissed her again as Nick rested his head on my shoulder. "What was it last time? Chicken nuggets and cherry ice cream?" "And anything crunchy and sweet. As excited I am to have another one, there are certainly things I'm not looking forward to." 

I turned to Nick, kissing him on the forehead. "You're in luck, bugaboo! Your mom also wants junk food so we're going to McDonald's!" "Yay!" he cried, jumping up and down as best he could while still being held in my arms. Shannon took Nick from my arms, giving him a kiss before giving me a smile. "Hey my beautiful husband, I have an idea. How about you run and get takeout for us and all three of us can watch a family movie or something? And bring a pint of cherry ice cream home with you."

"Dang, already?" I teased, but she just rolled her eyes. "I'm not craving it yet, but I just want it on hand. Now go on, get out of here!" I kissed her one last time and ruffled Nick's hair before driving to the nearest McDonald's, getting all of us some food before heading back home. 

I sat on the couch with my arm around Shannon's shoulders, holding her against my side while Nick sat on her lap, the three of us watching the movie together as a family. I didn't realize how much I missed it. I leaned over toward Shannon, kissing her on the forehead. "Hey hon, you were absolutely right. I haven't been spending enough time with you and Nick. But damn, I really missed this, and I promise I'll be better about it in the future," I murmured. 

She smiled, kissing me. "Good. I missed it too. I've missed you," she said quietly, before nestling against my side. 

Nick was yawning every two seconds by the time the movie ended, and I scooped him from Shannon's arms, kissing him on the forehead. "Alright bugaboo, let's get you to bed," I said, carrying him to his room and tucking him into bed before reading him a story. I smiled as I saw he was asleep by the end of the book, picking up the teddy bear from the floor and tucking it under his arm. "Goodnight, Nick. I love you," I said softly. 

Shannon was asleep on the couch by the time  I made it back downstairs, and I picked her up in my arms, carrying her up to our room and lying her on our bed, sliding under the blankets next to her and kissing her on the cheek. "I love you Shannon." Her eyes fluttered open and she rolled over, throwing her arms around my neck and burying her face in my chest. "I've missed you so, so much. I've missed our little date nights, I've missed you doing little things like carrying me up to bed. And dammit Gene, I love you so fucking much." 

My heart melted and I held her closer, playing with her hair absentmindedly. "Bet I love you more." As she fell asleep in my arms, I mentally cursed myself out, wondering why the hell I had ever cheated on her.