Ch 39: Eight Months Later (Eric C)

~Eight Months Later~

"You think one kid is enough?" I asked with a smile, holding the tiny bundle that was my brand-new son in my arms. Carrie gave me a flat look. "Eric Carr, you shut the fuck up and don't ask me that question right after I spent 48 hours in fucking labor," she said, still slightly out of breath. Grinning, I gave her a kiss. "Well you did a good job because Charlie's absolutely adorable."

She let out a groan, leaning back against the pillows and closing her eyes. "He really is. We make cute babies. But damn, we also make difficult babies to birth." "I wish I could've done more to help with that," I mumbled, but she just grinned. "Aw Eric you know I'm just teasing! I'm just really happy we have a family now." "Well I'm really happy that both you and Charlie are safe and fine and both of you are adorable and I love you both endlessly."

"Bet I love you two more," she mumbled, before stretching with a yawn. "Okay my foxy husband, let me have our son back." With a sigh, I kissed Charlie on the forehead and passed him to Carrie before taking her hand. "I mean shit though, we made a baby," I murmured. Eyes shining, she rested her head on my shoulder. "We did. We really did." "Good job, team!" I said, and she laughed. "Team? I did 99% of the work. You had it easy! You get one night of fun and then I'm stuck with nine months of pregnancy and then also all the pain of childbirth."

"The one percent still matters," I teased, giving her another kiss, and she just rolled her eyes. But neither of us could stop smiling. "We really did it though. We started our family. Damn, we have a family now!" I said excitedly. She sat up, holding Charlie in one arm before leaning over and giving me a hug. "We did. We really, really did," she murmured. 

I sat holding her hand as she nursed Charlie before she gave me a look. "Just go ahead and invite him in here." "Hm? What are you talking about?" I asked innocently. "Invite Bruce in to see his godson. I know you want to." "Oh no Carrie he doesn't--" "Invite him in!" she cried, handing Charlie back to me. "I'm sleepy anyway an'...an' I wanna take a nap," she yawned. 

I sent Bruce a text and he walked quietly into the room a minute later, giving me a smile. "Hey Carrie, how're you feeling?" he murmured. She smiled, giving him a wave. "Like I just pushed out an eight-pound, seven ounce human being." He laughed, sitting next to me. "Sounds like fun. Damn, he's cute though." I grinned like an idiot as Carrie nodded, yawning again. "That would be thanks to me. I did all the hard work." Bruce looked at the baby in my arms, nodding. "Yeah, he does look like you." 

"He's got Eric's eyes though, which is nice, because Eric has very nice eyes." "I do have nice eyes. Glad I was able to contribute something to our son," I muttered crossly. "Hah, thank fuck he didn't get your hair! That would've been a nightmare," Carrie teased, sitting up and giving me a grin. 

"Shit I know! I mean look at this! How the hell does Charlie have no hair if I have so much?! My mom said I was born with like almost a full head of hair and this kid is completely bald! I swear if he completely gets Carrie's hair I'm going to be disappointed," I said to Bruce, pulling off Charlie's little hat, kissing him on the forehead anyway because I did absolutely adore him. 

Bruce grinned, shaking his head. "Oh shut up you're not going to be disappointed in your son. Besides, if he does have Carrie's hair then it'll be significantly easier to deal with when he's younger." "Thank you Bruce, that's exactly what I've been saying!" Carrie said in exasperation. "Whatever. Charlie, go see your godfather," I said, giving him another kiss before handing him off to Bruce. 

He very carefully accepted the baby, holding him in the crook of his arm with a smile. "Gosh, he's just so cute, man! I mean I don't really love kids but damn Charlie's an adorable kid." I grinned, nodding. "That's because his dad is so good-looking." "Hah! Bullshit my foxy husband, you know I did all the work." "Yeah nice try Eric, Charlie definitely takes after Carrie in the looks department." "And thank goodness for that," Carrie said, giving me a smile. 

I stuck my tongue out at her, taking Charlie back from Bruce and giving him a kiss before handing him off to my wife. "Well then you can take your son since apparently he looks just like you." She laughed, blowing me a kiss. "Stop being so dramatic. I'm the one who just gave birth, you're not allowed to be emotional." Bruce grinned, ruffling my hair. "Bad news for you Carrie, he's always emotional." 

After not too much longer, both Carrie and Charlie fell asleep. I smiled, going back to holding my son. "Hey you know what's wild?" I said softly. Bruce raised an eyebrow, giving me a smile. "What?" "I helped make this. And it's mine. This little guy right here is my baby! And Carrie's. He looks a lot like her." "You wanna know what I find wild?"

I looked up at Bruce, grinning. "Of course I do." "I find it wild that my best friend who was a goofy, chaotic mess in high school has become a father. I'm really happy for you man, it's what you deserve." Blinking back tears, I nodded, holding Charlie a little closer. "And of course what's really wild is that fact that I wouldn't have survived to become a father if my best friend hadn't saved my life." 

"Eric don't even start with that," he mumbled. "You know you're gonna make me cry." "Charlie wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you, Bruce. So thank you. From both of us. And Carrie too, I'm assuming. Right hon? You're glad I'm not dead?" "Mhm," she mumbled, still mostly asleep. 

Bruce nodded, tears in his eyes. "Well I'm very glad you're not dead," he said softly. As I looked at the little baby bundle in my arms, I felt my heart melt. "Me too," I murmured.