The little thief

(Tommy's P.O.V.)
During the next couple of weeks I saw the kid a lot more on the streets than I normally would have. But no one could get close to him. He's smart. He just stays still and will watch you walk up to him before running towards you, what you don't expect a child to do. Normally they run away from you. This move makes you freeze in suprise and he will take that as an opportunity to run away. He learned quickly that I knew about his little trick and as soon as he saw me he just ran away. But I always hear from my brothers or others that he always comes back. Curiousity kills the cat but this little cat is way to smart for that to happen so he often stays a distance away. One time I had even saw him carefully sneak into the bettingshop, to hide from the cold and wetness from Birmingham. I would leave some food for him as well. But Polly advised me not to leave any food for him anymore. Because she had seen some older and bigger kids steal it from him which resulted in him being hurt. She had scolded the older kids but it never really works. Hunger can drive any human to resort to stealing. But even through all of what this little lad had been through. I could tell that I caught his interest, just like he had done to me.

Arthur was walking beside me as we walked towards the Garrison. Arthur chuckled and nudged my arm. I looked at him and he pointed to something. I realized it was the kid. He noticed we had spotted him and he clocked his head to the side. "He really is a funny lad" Arthur said before laughing. I nodded. "Goodnight kid" he yelled before walking inside the Garrison. When Arthur had yelled and waved at the boy I saw that he flinched slightly. It was strange because we were no where near the boy to cause a reaction like that from him. As I kept my gaze on him a small smile made it's way onto my face. I watched as he carefully stepped back before dissapearing once again. I knew that he wouldn't go far away from the Garrison or even the bettingshop, because he knows that that can provide a safe place.

It was a couple hours later and me, Arthur, John and Finn had been talking in our private room for all that time. When suddenly Ada burst through the door. "What the hell, Ada!" Arthur snapped at our sister. She was out of breath and looked fearfull as well. She turned to look at me. "He's in the shop" she informed me. I immediatly knew that she was talking about the kid. I was quick to my feet and ordered all four of them to follow me and Ada to explain. "Apparently he stole something and a bloody copper saw it. Michael and aunt Pol are trying to keep the copper away from the kid. You should've seen his face, Tommy" she explained. I could only imagine the fear he was expierencing.

We arrived and I could hear Michael screaming loudly. I stomped inside and saw the copper invading Michael's space. "Get the fuck out!" I yelled at the copper. His face went white from terror as he noticed who had talked to him. He tried holding his composure. "I.. I.. J...Just want the k... kid, Mr Shelby" he said trembling slightly. My eyes quickly scanned the room for the boy. Eventhough I didn't see him, there were hiding places where he possibly could be. "You're not taking him with ya" John snapped, "he's under protection of the Peaky fucking Blinders" Arthur added to John with the same anger lingering im his voice. "He isn't your child, Mr Shelby" another voice spoke with much more confindence. Inspector Campbell. I turned to look at him. "He may be under your protection. But he isn't lawfully protected" he simply stated. I heard Polly growl lowly from next to me. He was right. On paper he is an orphan. And an orphan get's protected by the country. Fucking bullocks because they don't protect them. They leave them for dead and on the fucking streets without a home. "So give the kid and we'll find him a good home" Mr Campbell informed me. "No" I sharply said and walked up to him. He raised an eyebrow in confusion. "He stays with me. I will sign some fucking papers if I have to keep him under my protection! And aslong as I or one of my family members is around no one will fucking touch him!" I screamed in his face. "You want to adopt the little thief?" He asked, "did I fucking stutter?" I asked cold. "Go ahead Mr Shelby adopt him if you will. But you gotta pay for the damage he has done and the once he will do" Mr Campbell said chuckling before turning around and walking out my shop. I turned to the other copper who was still in the same spot. "Get out". He quickly walked away as well. I rubbed my eyes and sighed. When suddenly I felt a hand smack the back of my head "you fucking idiot" Poll said. "What the-" I said and glared at her, but before I could finish she cut me off. "Shut up and listen". "I know you want a kid. But we don't know what he has gone through and-" before she could finish talking. I watched as the boy had appeared from behind his spot and wanted to run away again. "No!" I loudly yelled in frustration. I pushed past my family and reached for him. He quickly sprinted away but this time I had caught his ripped shirt. He realized he got caught and started to trash around. Kicking, screaming and turning in my grip. His scream pierced through my ears and made me want to let go because of the high pitch and frightfull tone of it. I pulled him to my chest and crossed my arms for a tighter grip and waited for him to tire himself out. His screams fell silent and formed into whimpers. The struggling died down and his eyes closed. His head fell back to my shoulder and I let out a sigh before standing up and shifting him in my arms so I could hold him better. I looked at everyone. "You better not leave him, like your father did. Cause I'll kill you" Polly sneered before walking past me.

(Fievel's P.O.V.)
I had tried to fight the man but I was to tired so I had just given up. I was now alone with him in his office. Eventhough I was scared I felt kind of safe. Maybe it was the silence of the room or the heartbeat of the man and his hand on my back rubbing circles. It was just soothing in a way. I may rather want to be free but if I had a choice between the man and the copper. I would choose the man. Soon my eyes fell shut once again and I drifted off to sleep.

Published: 23rd of July 2020