Epilogue

A few days later

Ruby woke up and looked over to see her father asleep in a chair. She sat up and sighs quietly, causing Taiyang to stir awake.

Taiyang: Ruby! You're awake!

Ruby: Ugh... what happened?

Taiyang: Your uncle Qrow found you, unconscious. He got you out of there, though, and brought you home safe.

Ruby: Wait! Yang! Y/N! Are they alright!?

Taiyang: Yang's fine, but Y/N's still unconscious. I'm just glad to have my girls back at home.

Ruby: What happened to the school?! And Vale?! Were they able to clear out the Grimm?

Taiyang: Things at Vale are under control, but the school... It's... it's not that simple. That thing, whatever it is, doesn't seem to be dead. Don't get me wrong, you did a number on it. But it's not disappearing. It's... kind of... frozen. I know that doesn't sound too bad, but it keeps attracting more Grimm to the school.

Ruby: I did... what?

Taiyang: Hmm?

Ruby: You said I did a number on it. What do you mean?

Taiyang: I... Look that's not important right now. We can talk about it later. Things are just... kind of a mess.

Qrow: It's always a mess.

Ruby and Taiyang look to see Qrow suddenly standing in the room, near the door. He finishes off the contents of his flask before continuing.

Qrow: Mind if we have a minute?

Taiyang: What, I can't stay here?!

Qrow: Tai. Please.

Taiyang stands up, sighs, and then leans in to kiss Ruby on the forehead.

Taiyang: I'm glad you're alright. I'll go make us some tea.

Taiyang glares at Qrow on the way out, but the latter doesn't appear to care. As Qrow approaches Ruby's bed, he grabs the chair and drags it with him. He then spins it around to face the bed and sits in it with a significant slouch, crossing one leg over the other.

Qrow: So, how you feeling?

Ruby: Um... I kind of hurt... all over.

Qrow: *Chuckles* That makes sense, after what you did.

Ruby: You guys keep saying that! That I did something! What are you talking about?!

Qrow: What's the last thing you remember?

Ruby: I ran up the side of the tower, and when I got to the top, I... Pyrrha! Is she...?

Qrow: She's gone.

Ruby: I... I... I got to the top... and I saw Pyrrha... and Cinder... and then everything went white!

Qrow: Anything else?

Ruby: I remember... my head hurting.

Qrow: The night you met Ozpin, what was the first thing he said to you?

Ruby: I... I don't know. I think it was something about...

Qrow: Silver eyes. That's an extremely rare trait.

Ruby: So?

Qrow: You're special, Ruby. And not in the "Daddy loves his special angel" kind of way. You're special the same way your mom was. Remnant's full of legends and stories, some of them true, some made up. But there's one Oz told me from a very long time ago. Back before Huntsmen, before Kingdoms, it was said that those born with silver eyes were destined to lead the life of a warrior. You see, the creatures of Grimm, the most fearsome monsters mankind had ever encountered, were afraid of those silver-eyed warriors. They were the best of the best. It was said that even a single look from one of these fighters could strike a Grimm down. Heh. It's a ridiculous story.