Music to His Ears

Gran Torino steps out of a convenience store holding a plastic bag filled with goodies. The old man takes a quick look at his surroundings before starting off on his way with a heavy sigh. Guilt weighed heavily on the masters mind. He had nearly revealed his greatest pupil's deepest darkest secret.

Torino passed a young couple on the sidewalk. Memories from the past began flooding the old mans mind like a broken dam. That couple had reminded the old master of his previous student and their partner. A great sorrow weighed upon the small man, for (y/n) to have lost both his parents in such a way. The thought nearly broke Gran Torino's old and frozen heart.

The old man continued on his walk back to his apartment, hoping he'd find his star pupil on the way. As Torino walked, music began to trickle into his ears... A familiar tune... Torino never could understand (y/n)'s taste in 'music'. To the old man, it just sounded like a bunch noise. But to his pupil, that 'noise' was something he cherished greatly.

The familiar music began to grow louder as the old man approached it's origin. Torino stopped in front of a small music shop with intricate guitars and bass's displayed in it's windows.

Gran Torino: 'This is definitely the place'

The old coot smiled, turns out finding his pupil wouldn't be as hard as he thought. Torino opened the glass door and stepped inside, surprised to find a small crowd had gathered around a section of the store. The short old man couldn't see over the crowd but he could guess what, or in this case, who they were watching.

Torino pushed through to the front of crowd. Torino smiled as he spotted his greatest pupil absolutely shredding on a guitar. (y/n) was playing along with a song that was playing on the radio, his own instrument and the one in the song sounded nearly identical, he was just that good.

Once the song finished, the small crowd cheered and clapped as (y/n) took a bow with a massive smile on his face. The old masters lips curled up into a smile of his own at the sight of (y/n)'s grin. The crowd began to settle down as (y/n) placed the guitar he had been using back in its display. The blonde dusted off his hands and stared longingly at the guitar for a moment before turning around. (y/n) froze when he spotted his former master standing among the crowd. His look of shock was quickly replaced with a smile when he saw a large toothy grin plastered on his masters face.

(y/n) hopped down off the small stage and made his way toward Gran Tornio.

(y/n): "So. What did you think?"

Gran Torino: "I'm impressed. You're nearly as good as your mother."

(y/n)'s smile widened upon hearing that.

(y/n): "You really think so?"

Gran Torino: "Oh yeah! You ready to head home?"

(y/n): "....Yeah"

Torino wasn't dumb enough to miss the hesitation in (y/n)'s voice. An idea popped into the old mans head as a sly smirk appeared on his  face.

Gran Torino: "On second thought, let's have look around. We might find something mildly interesting..."

An expression of joy bloomed on (y/n)'s face. The two began to browse around the shop, (y/n) pointing out all the doodads and explaining what they do. As they browsed, Torino snuck away and found the owner of the establishment. He whispered to the owner about how much the guitar (y/n) had been playing earlier was worth.