Concussed

I had insisted that there was no need to go to the urgent care clinic, but here we are. The waiting room was mostly empty besides a woman and small child. Jackson sat beside me as Mrs.Brooks filled out paperwork.

"How are you feeling?"

I smiled, "I told you I was fine, and I still am. We didn't have to come here."

Jackson put his arm around the back of my chair, "We can't take a risk on you, with your bad luck and all."

I play punched him in the side. It was nice to feel like we did months ago, "I don't have bad luck..."

"Emilie, honey, what is your birthday?"

"December 20th."

I look over at Jackson who had just answered for me.
He smiled and patted my shoulder with his hand that was behind me.

Mrs.Brooks continued on with scribbling on the papers.  After several minutes of waiting, a nurse opened the door and called me back.

I had to answer a whole list of questions, pretty sure I would be saying "yes" and "no" in my sleep tonight, except for they told me that I couldn't sleep.

Turns out, when I fainted, I hit my head pretty hard and I have a concussion.

"I will take babysitting duty for the night." Jackson volunteered to keep me awake.

"That's very sweet, Jack." Mrs.Brooks looked pleased at the kindness of her youngest son.

Upon arriving back at the Brooks' house, Jackson helped me to the guest room, "Um if you want to, we can stay in my room since I have a TV.. we can watch Lord of the Rings?"

I nodded, "I love those movies."

He smiled, "I know, you used to talk about them nonstop."

He opened his room door and let me go in first.

I turned around, "Actually, can I go to the guest room and change first? These jeans are beginning to be uncomfortable."

He opened his top dresser drawer, "These are like the only sweatpants I own, but you are welcome to them."

He tossed the sweatpants over, "Thanks."

I walked down the hall to the guest room and changed into the sweatpants and a sports tank. My hair made its way into a messy bun and I swapped my contacts for my glasses. I dug through my bag until I found my fuzzy socks.

Jackson was in the bathroom when I walked down the hall, but I wasn't as lucky with Justin.

"How's the brain?"

I roll my eyes and walk past him. He grabs my wrist, "I have a few ideas of how to keep you up all night."

"No thank you, Asshat."

He pushed me back up against the wall, "Don't pretend that you don't want me, Em."

I tried to wiggle my wrist free but I was unsuccessful, "Justin, let go of me."

He pushed me against the wall with more force, "Look at me, Emilie."

I kept my eyes on the ground.

He was beginning to become impatient, grabbing my face with his left hand, "I said look at me."

"Get the fuck off of her."

Justin looked over his shoulder and laughed, "Just mind your own business."

I pulled my knee up and nailed him between the legs. He let go of me and stumbled to the wall, "Damn it."

Jackson pushed me into his bedroom and shut the door. I could hear them arguing, but it didn't last long.

Jackson came into his room and apologized, "I'm sorry, it won't happen again."

I mumbled under my breath, "it's not the first time."

Unfortunately he heard me, "What?"

I sat on the bed and pulled the covers over me, "Ready to start the movie?"

He pulled the covers back off of me, "No, I want you to explain what you just said."

"It was nothing, let's just watch the movie."

"I'm not playing games with you, Emilie, I swear to God you better start talking."

"It was a long time ago, I barely remember."

"Talk."

I rub my forehead with my hand, my head was throbbing, "When we first started dating, he would grab me, and try to get me to go into his room all the time."

The small vein in Jackson's forehead was now visible, as it always was when he was pissed, "What the fuck, and you never told me?"

"I handled it, Jack."

He threw his hands up, "Obviously not."

I broke the eye contact to stare at the floor.

"Did you do anything with him?"

My heart sank. I wasn't sure that I could be honest. I held my silence and my stare to the floor. He raised his voice and it startled me, "Answer me!"

My eyes slowly met his, "We kissed but that's it."

"I swear to god you better be lying."

I slowly shook my head, and he throws the tv remote across the room, "When?"

"It was so long ago, Jackson."

"Were we together?"

My eyes started to water, "Jackson-"

"Get out."

A tear fell, "What?"

"Get out." He opened the door and pointed into the hallway.

"But-"

"I don't give a shit. Get out." 

"Jackson I told him I wasn't interested.. I only wanted you."

"Shut up, and get out." He was devastated, it was written all over his face. My chest was hurting.

"Please, Jack-"

"Fine, I will get out."

He left, slamming his door. I laid down in the bed fighting back tears, my head was hurting and throbbing. An hour or so passed, and I heard the door open slowly and quietly. I didn't move.

"Are you awake?"

I turned over, "I kind of have to be."

"I'm sorry I snapped on you."

I nodded my head and sat up in the bed, "It's okay...I should have told you."

"Did you kiss him or did he kiss you?"

I rubbed my hands together, "Definitely he kissed me, I told you.. I wasn't interested in him."

"Where?"

"What?"

"Where did he kiss you? My house?"

I feel my eyebrows embrace, "You hadn't gotten home yet.. he was about to leave for basketball practice and I was waiting in your room. He came in to talk...and it caught me off guard. I didn't know he was going to do it..."

He messed with the front of his hair and shrugged harshly, "Just that once, right?"

I nodded my head and agreed.

"What about Liam?"

I swallowed hard, "What about him?"

"Did you kiss him?"