Game Over

Liam

Waking up at 6:00AM was not on my list of things to do on a Saturday, but here I am.

I grab my phone and text Grant to make sure he is ready for me to pick him up. Today was the day everyone had been talking about all week, the scrimmage at the court. We would be forming a team with some of our guys to face off against a few guys from Riverview High. Everyone would be there, and I assumed that included Emilie.

Grant text back that he would be ready in five, which was my queue to get going.

I sprinted down the stairs passing Sarah in the hallway.

"Breakfast?"

"Sorry mom," I grabbed a dry pancake from the counter, "Got to go."

I waited in Grant's driveway for several minutes. I had my normal playlist going, but a new song played. The same song that played the night I took Emilie home from Michaela party.

"Sorry, man. I was trying to hurry." Grant jumped in the passenger seat and pulled me out of my daze.

Rolling my eyes, I sped out of the driveway to get to the court on time.

"Dude, I totally set myself to get laid tonight. I have been messaging Charlotte Jameson the past two days, we are going to go to her parents house after the game. They went out of town."

"That's rad, bro." I honestly only heard a handful of the words that came out of his mouth, all I could think about was Heath kissing Emilie, and the words he said, and how she left... the look on her face. She hated me.

"Liam!"

I shook my head, pulling out of my daydream to see a car headed straight for us, and I jerked the steering wheel til I had returned into my lane.

"God, Liam. What the hell?"

"I didn't sleep last night, it's fine."

We pull up to the court and I take my normal spot. I scan the crowd but I don't see her. Charlotte joins us outside the Jeep.

"Hey, boys."

I cut my eyes, but have no words to speak. Last time I saw her, we were making out under these exact bleachers.

Just as I was about to give up on seeing her, there she was. But she wasn't alone. Jackson carried her on his back across the court to the bleachers. He sat her down and leaned over her, they looked close. Too close.

"They are waiting for us." Grant punched my arm and took off across the court to the rest of the team. 

I look over at her one more time before the game starts, and she is looking back at me. I try to smile, but her attention goes directly to Jackson Brooks before I have the chance. I knew they had dated back but in North Carolina, but she had told me that she had moved on. But as I watch them, I am not so sure anymore.

The game starts and we quickly take the lead 12-3. Grant dribbles down the court, looks for a pass, I'm wide open, then I see it. The ball goes right past me to the grass and the whistle blows.

Jackson Brooks had his lips to Emilies. They were kissing... she hadn't even been watching me. I don't even know why I care so much, but I do.

"Game Over." I grab my bag and walk to my Jeep. I hear everyone yelling at me "come back" and "what the hell?" 

I know I told her to stay away from me, but she is all I think about. Day and night. I have dreams about her. Everyone in the bleachers were now standing watching me as I drive away.

She had lied to me. She told me that her and Jackson were nothing, and she didn't care about him in that way anymore. How could she do that to me?

My phone began to ring, but I didn't answer it. I drove straight to the one place I could go.

It was peaceful at the dock, not many people around. The weather was just right to enjoy the breeze in a tshirt and shorts. Hours passed before I finally decided to go home.

When I finally checked my phone, I had twenty four messages and seventeen missed calls, but none of them were from her.

I did the one thing that I thought would make me feel better, I called Handy.

"I haven't heard from you in awhile. Why now?"

I held her against the wall, "Just don't talk."

We began to make out, and her hands went for my shorts, but I stopped her.

"What?"

I sighed, "I can't. I shouldn't have called you."

She laughed and pulled at my shorts again, "Relax, Liam. It's fine, you call me all the time. I get it."

I grabbed her hands and pulled her up, "No. Get out."

She looked shocked, "I don't understand."

"I can't be any more clear. Get. Out." I held the door open for her, and she slowly left without another word.

If I couldn't ever be physical with another girl, I was screwed.