The Departure

"Finally," my mom pulled a chair out from under the kitchen table, "I have been waiting on you to get home."

"Emilie!" Amy Brooks walked into the kitchen from the hallway with her arms held open.

"Hi, Mrs.Brooks."

My mom smiled, "We want to talk to you."

"Okay?"

Amy took a seat across from us.

"I know that you aren't taking the news of my job very well," my mom looked down at the wood grain in the table as she spoke, "And you have been through so much lately."

Amy Brooks nodded as my mother spoke.

"I just want you to be happy and achieve all of your goals and make the best memories with your friends."

I wasn't sure where she was going with this, but it was weird.

Mrs.Brooks took a sip from the coffee mug in her hand and smiled, "I want all of those things for you too, Emilie."

Mother smiled, "The Brooks' took such good care of you after your father passed, didn't they?"

My mind flashed back to the night Justin came into my room, and then when Jackson stood up for me... then when Jackson was pissed at me... then when we all had dinner and it went horribly.... "Of course they did, mom."

She reached across the table and grabbed my hand in hers, "I don't want to make you leave, honey."

My phone started ringing and my mother let go of my hand. I wasn't sure if I could answer it or not, I didn't understand what exactly was going on.

Liam's name flashed across my phone and that answered my own question. I silenced the call and gave my mother my full attention again.

She smiled, "Emilie, Amy has offered for you to stay here and live with her for the rest of the school year."

It took several blinks for me to comprehending what she had said.

"I can stay?"

They both nod.

I didn't know if I was relived or shocked. My phone started to vibrate under my leg and I looked at it once more, Liam again.

My mom pat my arm, "You can answer it, we will talk til you get back."

I stood from the table and walked into the hallway, clicking accept:

"Liam?"

"Emilie, we need to talk... please."

"I am going through some stuff, Liam."

"I need to see you before you leave."

I considered telling him that I would be staying, but I didn't.

"We leave soon."

"I know, I need to see you. I need to tell you something."

"Tell me."

I hear him sigh, "I need to look you in the eyes when I tell you."

I heard my mom call from the kitchen, "I have to go, Liam."

I hung up the phone and put it back in my back pocket.

I returned to the table and discussed the plan with mother and Amy Brooks. I would move into the Brooks' house and attend school for the rest of the year. Mom would move to New York but still come home one or two weekends a month, and of course holidays. I would take Justin's room because he is leaving to go to a Private School to combat his behavior, and mom would leave her car here for me and sell my car. They had literally planned it all out, and all I had to do was say thank you... but I didn't want mom to leave.

"I thought you would be excited, honey?"

I smile, "I am, but I don't want you to leave me."

My mom grabbed my hand in hers and kissed it, "I will be back before you know it," she looked down nervous, "But I have to leave tonight."

My heart sank and I took a deep breath.

Mrs. Brooks stood from the table, "I will give you two some time, but you can come over any time, Emilie. I will get your room ready."

"Thank you, Mrs. Brooks."

She wrapped her arm around me and kissed the side of my forehead, "You should know to call me Amy by now."

My mom stood and gave Amy a hug goodbye, and then it was just us standing at the table.

"Do you want me to help you pack?"

I shook my head, "I don't have to pack everything up just yet."

She tilted her head, "What would you like to do? I have about an hour before I have to leave for the airport."

I connect eyes with her, "Can we go talk to Dad, like a family again?"

A tear fell down her cheek and she smiled, "That sounds perfect."

We loaded her bags into her car and made our way to dad's grave. We both hugged and cried, but we also laughed as we told our favorite stories of dad.

The time had finally come to drop her off at the airport and I could feel my heart breaking.

She kissed my forehead as I held my arms wrapped around her tightly.

"Call me whenever you want, and I will be back in a few weeks!"

I wipe a tear from my cheek as I nod, trying to smile, "I will, I love you."

She hugged me as tight as she could, "I love you too, honey."

Her flight number was called over the speakers and we both knew it was time to say goodbye.

Before she could speak I shook my head, "Let's not say it."

"Okay, see you oh so soon."

She squeezed my hand tight before walking to her gate.

The drive back home was silent and lonely, but I couldn't help but let my brain run thoughts. Thoughts of what would happen now that I was alone. Thoughts of what Liam felt was so important. Thoughts of how things would work out once he knew I was staying.

Before I realized it, my moms car had ran out of gas and I was sputtering to the shoulder of the road. Without hesitation, I called Jackson.

"Can you come pick me up?"