Hurry Up

"Do you need help with those boxes?"

I shake my head, "No, I'm fine."

He grabs three of the boxes, "I can help you, and I wanted to say I'm sorry about what I did."

I roll my eyes and walk towards the door knowing that Liam would come to my rescue at the first sight of AJ.

He stops right in front of the doors, "Emilie, I am sorry for what happened that night."

We pause in eye contact, and I can see the genuine apology written on his face, but it didn't change anything, "Thank you, but we aren't going to hug and be friends and sing campfire songs."

He laughed and pushed the door open with his leg, "I didn't expect any of that, I just had to say I'm sorry."

A few steps into the parking lot and I was watching Liam jump out of the Jeep. He took the boxes from AJ, "I can take it from here."

"I have no doubt," AJ awkwardly waved, "I will see y'all around."

Liam slowly put the pizza boxes in the back seat with Charlotte, "Are you okay?"

I nod, "I'm fine, he was actually pretty nice and apologetic about everything... but it doesn't change anything."

He opened my door and helped me into my seat, "I should have went in with you."

Liam's phone sounded with a ding. He pulled it out of his pocket, "It's my mom. Sarah is home."

Charlotte clapped her hands, "Then let's go!"

We pull into the driveway and Charlotte skips to the front door. Liam grabs my hand, "You ready?"

I take a deep breath and nod, "Actually, I am."

Sarah was leaned back on the couch when we walked in. She smiled and held her arms out to hug me. Liam sat the boxes of pizza on the table, then joined us in the living room.

"Thank god you brought real food, I was tired of the hospital mush."

Charlotte jumped up, "I will get you a slice!"

The doorbell rang and Liam cut his eyes to us. Within a minute or so, the door was open and a handful of people walked into the house following Grant.

"So I may have brought a few friends." Grant starts introducing everyone to us.

I shake my head, "I said no to a party."

He grinned, "Not a party, just a small gathering."

Sarah called me over, "I didn't know a lot of people were coming," she leaned closer, "Could you help me to the bathroom? I want to try to fix my hair."

I smile, "Of course."

I cautiously helped Sarah up each individual step until we reached the top. I let her take a rest since the bathroom was all the way at the end of the hallway.

I hand Sarah the brush as she runs it through her hair, "Could you look in that drawer and grab some makeup?"

I open her drawer and start digging, my hand lands on a small bag.

"Sarah?"

Sarah snatched the bag from my hand, "I will handle it."

She tore it open with her teeth and dumped the contents into the toilet, and flushed.

"Sarah.."

She tossed the empty bag onto the floor, "I told Liam, it was a one time thing. I'm done."