10 | The Alley

TRIGGER WARNING!
The following chapter will have contents that might be disturbing for some people. Read at your own risk.

It will be triggering in terms of sexual assault. Please skip if you wouldn't like reading it.

***

I take off my lab coat as my first chemistry lab ends

I take off my lab coat as my first chemistry lab ends. It's been a long session and quite tiring. Tucking the files back into my bag, I wonder how I'll get home later. I guess that I would take the bus, since my car is broken -- I just found out this morning when I couldn't start the engine.

"Have you asked someone to fix your car?" Stacey asks beside me, slinging her backpack over her shoulders. Since we're taking the same major, we have many classes together, and I find it pleasing. She's my first friend here.

"Nope." I sigh.

"Why don't you try to ask Vaughn?" she asks as we exit the lab. She winks, teasing me, and I roll my eyes.

So, this girl here has asked me about how I managed to hand my jaw-dropping assignment to Professor Adams so quickly, and I've told her about Vaughn.

But no, I can't trouble Vaughn again. I'm well aware that Vaughn is busy preparing for the football game tomorrow, and I don't want to disturb him.

Why do I have to be so clueless about cars?

I'm going to call a mechanic first thing tomorrow in the morning.

Speaking of the game, I ask Stacey as we walk along the corridor, "Hey, are you free tomorrow afternoon?"

"I guess so," she says. "My favourite schedule is Friday. I only have one class in the morning."

"Do you want to watch the football game?"

Her eyes widen. "Oh, is it tomorrow?" she exclaims. "I totally forgot about that. I've been dying to watch them play." Her voice is full of excitement, and I laugh. That's good to hear.

"Yes, it is," I say. "Vaughn asked me to come. It's the least I can do to support the team, even though Jake isn't around..." I trail off, suddenly missing my brother again. "So, it's a yes?" I wink at Stacey.

She smirks. "Absolutely. I would love to."

"Great." I grin as we keep walking along the corridor. It's already dark, thanks to the long hours of our lab session.

"Do you want me to drop you off?" Stacey asks.

"Nah, it's okay," I say, knowing that she lives here at the dorm. She doesn't have to send me all the way to my house. Really, I'm 18 years old, not an eight years old kid.

"Okay, just let me know if you need anything," she kindly offers, waving her hand as we part ways. "Bye."

"Bye. I'll see you tomorrow." I smile, watching her walk to her dorm.