44 | Your Lies

AN:

OK. I'm sorry that I just dropped a bomb there.
Again, please forgive me for the explicit language in this chapter.

Now let's continue the story...

***

I can't believe what I just heard

I can't believe what I just heard. Jake... Jake is the father of the baby? It can't be...

"What the hell are you talking about, Vaughn?" Jake sounds as shocked as I am. However, I can't differentiate whether it's because he really doesn't know what Vaughn is talking about or because he doesn't expect to get caught. I don't know what I should believe anymore.

Vaughn scoffs. "Come on. Don't act like you don't fucking know anything about this," he bites out.

"No, what the fuck--"

Vaughn grabs a lamp standing on the cabinet and throws it harshly onto the ground, breaking it, the sound of the bulb shattered on the floor echoing in the room.

And that makes me almost scream. Quickly, I cover my mouth in my hand.

Vaughn looks murderous. His eyes are bloodshot red. He's shaking with rage, like his blood is boiled. "I didn't want to believe it either, but how dare you deny it. I saw it. I fucking saw it!" he roars.

Jake can only stare at him, openmouthed. He seems to lose the ability to speak.

"I thought I was losing my mind when I watched the video. But goddammit, it was fucking real. It's you. And her. Both of you." Vaughn's fists are shaking on his sides. He's mad. Extremely mad. "The more I looked at it, the more I fucking knew that my eyes weren't lying, and the sicker I became."

"You-- you watched a video?" Jake blurts out, disbelief in his voice. But somehow, it obviously sounds like he just got caught.

No... Jake. A tear falls from my eye. My heart breaks. I can't believe what he did to Vaughn.

"You fucking made her drunk," Vaughn hisses, and I can feel the pain he's holding inside his chest. "You trapped her."

"Look," Jake begins, but his voice is wavering. "I think you got it wrong--"

"Traitor!" Vaughn roars, and I jerk in shock. The more he's losing himself, the more my heart is getting shattered. "You couldn't just do that to the girl I fell in love with, and think that you can get away with it. You're a fucking traitor."

'The girl I fell in love with.'

My heart freezes in place as I hear him say about her. Then I remember his words to me.

'I love you, Mel.'

Fall in love. And love. They mean a different thing. He's in love with her. Not me.