47 | Kidnapped

Trigger Warning:
The following chapter will have contents that will be disturbing for some people.

I'm so sorry... Please stay on this journey with Melanie.

***

Derek watches me as I sniffle, wiping a tear from my eye

Derek watches me as I sniffle, wiping a tear from my eye. I take a deep breath, still trying to calm myself down after what happened at Vaughn's apartment.

"I'm sorry," I say. "I shouldn't be doing this." But the tears just won't stop flowing.

Vaughn's words cut deep through my heart. I've never thought that he was only using me for revenge. It's like the person whom I used to know never exists. The one whom I love and loves me back. The one who always makes me feel contented and safe in his arms.

I've never thought either that Jake would have done something so horrible to his best friend. I guess that I just have nowhere else to go now. I don't think that I can face either of them.

Derek seems to worry about me. He has stopped the car in a secluded area of the street. "It's okay, Melanie," he says. "I don't know what your problem is. But you can just let it out. I'm here, if you need someone to talk to."

I just look down, feeling ashamed of myself. This is the second time that other guys have seen me crying. The first one was when I was with Austin.

"It's about Vaughn, isn't it?"

Derek's question makes me snap my head toward him, and I see him scoff.

"I always knew that the guy's a jerk," he speaks through gritted teeth, surprising me. "He's the reason why you're crying now, isn't he?"

I'm quite taken aback by his on-point accusation. Is it that obvious? Vaughn and me? I guess so, because the rumors have started to spread since the incident back then in the club.

Derek looks angry. Who would have thought that he had this hatred toward Vaughn?

"Derek--"

"He's the reason why you're even here on the street, alone, at this hour," Derek says. "I know that this isn't the first time it happens, but..." he falters, and I notice that his eyes fall on my lips. "You should be more careful." The last sentence is said so softly that I almost can't hear it.

Something about the atmosphere creates goosebumps on my skin, and suddenly, I feel like the air inside the car is getting colder.

His sentence makes me wonder.

"I know that this isn't the first time it happens, but..."