37 | I Trusted You

AN:
Hi guys, I can't express how much I'm grateful that you're all reading this book, voting, commenting and adding it into your reading list. Thank you so much for your support.

Things are getting pretty intense in this story, and it's still nothing compared to what will happen in the future. I hope you'll continue to be on this journey with me.

***

My fingers press the keys on the piano as I play the melody of another Chopin's song, spending the night alone in my living room

My fingers press the keys on the piano as I play the melody of another Chopin's song, spending the night alone in my living room. A sigh leaves my lips as I think about what happened yesterday.

That night, after I said to Vaughn that I trusted him, he told me to go home without him. And as usual, he came back very late.

It's crazy how my thoughts keep playing in my mind. It's so frustrating. Why wouldn't he tell me what really happened if there's really nothing more between him and Camila? Why would he keep a secret from me? I'm starting to question my own judgement.

Some say that love makes you strong. But now, I wonder whether I'm being strong or stupid. I feel like a lovesick fool.

My phone suddenly rings, making the melody from the piano abruptly vanishes as I stop playing. I lean closer to see the caller, hoping that it's Vaughn. A frown touches my lips as I see an unknown number calling me. Usually, I would just ignore it. But somehow, I decide to pick this one up.

"Hello?"

"Hi, Melanie," a guy's voice speaks from the other line. It sounds strangely familiar, but I can't remember who it is. "This is Austin."

My mind is immediately on alert. I wonder what makes the guy call me out of the blue.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but--" he pauses. The sound of thumping music and people talking in the background makes it difficult for me to hear that I have to press the phone closer to my ear. "I'm with Vaughn now, and dude's in trouble. I don't think anybody could make him stop now if it weren't you. I've never seen him drink this much--" There's some disruption again from the people laughing around him.

I stand up from the piano bench and begin to pace around.

"He came here with his motorbike, and I didn't bring my car," Austin continues speaking. "We can't ask somebody else to drive him to your place because... You know, they'll figure out something..." he falters.

I totally understand what he means. No one should know about us living together, unless we want Jake to hear about it.

"I can just ask somebody else to drive him back to his apartment, but I just want to make sure you're okay with that," Austin says.

Now that makes me ponder on what to do. I'm positive that I won't be able to sleep until he comes home to me. Besides worrying about him, I'm still not good with this whole paranoid thing about some lunatic breaking into my house.