13 | Heartbeat

Hi guys, this is a quick update. Maintaining regular updates definitely requires discipline because I have to juggle writing and my other busy schedules. But I'm trying to keep updating every day, if not every 2-3 days ;)

Anyways, I'd like to thank all of you who are still reading this story, and I hope you'll like this chapter.

***

Vaughn's eyes meet mine as he scans the bleachers, perhaps because we're sitting quite close to the field

Vaughn's eyes meet mine as he scans the bleachers, perhaps because we're sitting quite close to the field. I smile, waving my hand to him. I really hope that they'll win this game, so I won't have to feel guilty for consuming most of his time.

"Oh my Gosh," Stacey gasps beside me. "He's a hottie. Is that Vaughn?"

I nod, biting my lip. "Yup."

"Well, I've actually heard about him before," Stacey says. "He and Jake are really popular, like, if you're into college football, they shine so bright and make every girl swoon. But I didn't expect he would look that good. I mean, look at his body," she tattles.

I don't know why, but I feel a bit irritated from knowing that she's checking his body out. Easy, girl.

Oh, crap. Am I jealous? What are you thinking, Melanie? Stupid brain.

No. Stupid heart.

Luckily, the game starts with a kickoff, shifting my attention back to reality before I can keep blaming myself. I've heard that the opponent's team from the neighbouring university is tough, but hopefully, Vaughn will lead his team to victory.

The ball is passed to one of the player in our opponent's offense team who then tries to advance to our defense side. From that, things get pretty intense quickly. Each team tries to advance the ball, get a first down or try to stop the opponent from taking the ball away.

I gasp as one player snaps the ball and Vaughn continues from there, taking a quick decision to run with it. He carries the ball and crosses the opponent's team end zone, earning a touchdown, making the crowds roar.

My heart thumps when he looks at me after that.

No. No. No. You can't look at me like that after you conquer a touchdown, Vaughn. That will be too much for me to hold.

Thank God I'm sitting, because my legs would have given out had I stood.

I continue watching as each team tries their best again to attempt a goal. Passing the ball, retaining the ball, running, punting the ball and so on. One time, Vaughn passes the ball to trick the opponent's defense team, which then successfully leads to another goal.

I hold my breath as Vaughn advances the ball again, gaining control of the ball before earning another victory.

"Touchdown!"