54 | New Beginning

AN:
Hi guys, I'm back again. Thank you for sharing what you feel about Vaughn and Melanie. I know that it's hard for them. It's hard for me to write it too.

I hope you stay on this journey with them.

***

The ride to Texas has been tremendously long

The ride to Texas has been tremendously long. Of course, we move halfway across the country. But finally, we're here.

Jake pulls in when we reach his place. I get out of the car and look up at the house standing before me, the ray of morning sun upon me eyes making me wince as I block it with my hand.

So, this is the house that Jake has rent for him to live in Texas. It's a mid-sized traditional brick grey townhouse with a gable roof, and it has two storeys. It looks really nice.

Jake steps up toward the entrance door and opens it for me. "Welcome to my house." He smirks.

I gape as I step inside. The interior looks more contemporary compared to the exterior. The house is filled with neutral colors and clean design lines, but there are some bold accent colors on some pieces of furniture. It looks super comfortable, and my body absolutely gives in after long hours of journey. I feel like I can just sink into one of the couches and sleep there.

"Good to know that you like it," Jake says, amusement in his voice, but I can definitely hear a hint of relief in it. For the past few days, during our journey, he's been trying hard to make sure that I feel contented.

"The rooms are upstairs," he says. "And I bet you'll like it too."

I can't help but smile from hearing those words as he leads me to the second storey.

I sit on the bed, drying my hair with a towel when Jake appears at my doorstep with a phone on his ear

"Yeah, she's in my place now. No, Mom--" Jake speaks on the phone, and my heart sinks as I know with whom he's having the conversation. "Don't worry. She's okay." He gestures to me whether I would like to speak with Mom, but I shake my head, signaling that it's negative.