63 | Nightmare

AN:
Hi guys, thank you once again for reading, voting and sharing your thoughts about this story. It means so much to me that you care about the characters.

OK, now buckle up and enjoy the ride again :)

***

After what happened in Boston, it has never crossed my mind that I would leave Melanie with Vaughn again

After what happened in Boston, it has never crossed my mind that I would leave Melanie with Vaughn again. But with Derek on the run, I have to make sure that she's safe, and I don't have any doubt that Vaughn will make sure of that.

That dude loves her, I can see it. I just wish he wouldn't have fucked up. Seriously, he has ruined everything, including my trust. Hell, he was lucky that I ever entrusted her to him, because I've never done that to anybody else. But ironically, it's not like I haven't done any mistakes either.

Watching how devastated he looks as he waits for Melanie, I can see that it's something way deeper than what he initially felt for Camila. Even when Camila went missing, he wasn't as broken as he is now when he has lost Melanie.

I've known that both of them wouldn't be able to resist each other since the moment I decided to entrust her to him a few months ago. What could be better? My best friend who has so much space in his heart to love and protect a woman -- he definitely deserves someone better than his filthy ex-girlfriend -- and my precious little sister who has been waiting for her knight in shining armour since she knows how to read a fairytale. They sound like a match made in heaven if isn't ruined by all the drama they've been going through.

But right now, I just want to see first how it goes. I definitely want Melanie to be happy. I just have to make sure that she will be. Vaughn still has to watch out, because there's still a possibility that I'll break his neck if he fucks up again.

I turn my car toward the familiar road as I head back home after a tiring day at work. The road is empty now, since it's already quite late at night. I worked overtime because there was a sudden and urgent assignment, but thank God, Melanie has been safely guarded by Vaughn. I wouldn't have dared to finish my work overtime and left her alone at home with the possibility of Derek still wandering around, looking for her.

A curse leaves my lips as the car suddenly slips out of the road beyond my control. The hell? Something might be wrong with the tires. I stop the car and get out of it.

I check my tires. All four of them. Just as I thought, one of the tires at the back lacks air. I sigh, thinking that I'll drop by a nearby gas station after this.

Something about the air sends chills under my spine, and I look around. I can't help but think about the possibility that some roughnecks might have scattered nails on the road. It seems to be the pattern many criminals follow nowadays, judging by what I've seen on the news.