26 | The Shadow

The class about Commercial Contract this morning was challenging and caused us to be busy with projects

The class about Commercial Contract this morning was challenging and caused us to be busy with projects. Since Stacey, Derek and I take the same class, we've decided to be in the same group. We have to create a database of oil and gas monetisation key terms conducted in some regions in the country -- which is quite demanding. And that's why the three of us are at my house now, in the living room, surrounded by books and papers.

I glance at the clock hanging on the wall, my back leaning against the sofa as I sit on the rug. 3 PM. A sigh leaves my mouth. This is going to be a long day.

"Have you checked the consultant's website?" Derek asks Stacey, his fingers typing on his laptop in a fast mode.

"We have to be their clients to obtain such information." Stacey shrugs. "I'm sure many major companies have done that, because they have enough money to make the subscription. But unfortunately, we don't." She sighs, flipping through some pages of her book, lying down on her stomach.

"Well then, let's see the data we've got from these articles," Derek says, his eyes scanning the content on his laptop screen.

A chuckle escapes my lips. Derek might seem a little bit off sometimes. Dark, mysterious and usually awkward around people. But he's now being talkative when doing this project with us. I guess that he's indeed a nerd, just like me.

"Anyway, you're quite good at programming," Stacey says, watching in awe as Derek creates the database on the screen.

I shift my attention back to my laptop while my mind wanders somewhere else. About what happened this morning. I can't help the smile on my face as I think about it.

Too bad that Vaughn left without finishing what we were doing earlier. He looked really annoyed.

Oh, I already miss him.

I shake my head, laughing in disbelief. Since when did I become such a naughty girl?

When I look up from my laptop, I'm surprised to find that Stacey and Derek are looking at me with a lost expression.

Shit. They must be wondering why I've been smiling to myself, daydreaming while listening to their arguments about the project. This is strange because I usually get caught up in my studies.

In short, I've been acting like a lovesick fool.

I quickly avert my eyes from them. Back to the laptop, girl.

The doorbell rings, making me wonder who it is. I get up and trudge to the door. When I open it, my eyes widen as I find Vaughn standing in front of me.

He looks at me with the kind of stare which can make any girl drop to her knees, his eyes smiling as a smirk creeps on his lips. "Hey, beauti--"

"Vaughn!" I exclaim. My voice is so loud that Derek and Stacey must have heard it, just as I intend to. "Just in time!" Excitement fills my voice, my eyes telling Vaughn to act along.