Chapter 30

Panchaali moaned in pain as she blinked her eyes open, the intense pain had her crumpling as she wrapped her hand around her waist, her breathing coming in shallow pants as agony thrummed to her body, though it wasn't as intense as it was supposed to be it was still there, she groaned, "Here drink this Panchaali." Nakul said as he brought the glass of medicine to her lips, his hand wrapping around shoulders, pressing her closer to him as he assisted her to sit up, the poison had left her weak, his heart thrummed as he looked at her, his heart squeezing, none of them were able to meet her eyes for too long, he knew that it wasn't his fault but they felt guilty, if only they had known she wouldn't have deprived of her motherhood, he looked at her, the innocent sweet eyes looking up at him, an expression of worry on her face as she looked up at him.

"What happened arya?" Her fragile voice asked him, he forced a smile as he looked at her, "Nothing sweetheart just that the we have some political issue is all." He assured as he rubbed her shoulders with his rough hands, his face nuzzling her neck to hide the tears that formed in his eyes, he wanted to cry, his throat tightening at the thought of her the reaction at her. He sighed as he pushed his agony down, she was too weak, any sort of trauma could mess with her system, so they had decided to not tell her anything as of yet. He pulled back a smile on his face as pain slithered through his smile, "I'll be back you drink this and rest." He instructed his voice clogging with a sharp burn in his throat that had it tightening, she nodded as she drank the medicine before turning around and leaving, a smile on his face as he looked at her, he pressed his lips to her forehead as she drank the medicine, a smile on her lips, she laid back, shutting her eyes before her breathing evened out.

"She slept?" Arjun asked as he entered with the rest of his brothers, "How long are you guys going to avoid her?" Nakul asked, his eyes meeting theirs, "it's not her that we are avoiding,it's the pain, every time I see her my heart squeezes with pain. I don't know how she will react when we will tell her the truth." Arjun confessed, his heart throbbing with pain as they looked at her, she lay on the bed unconscious, unaware of all the adversities that had taken place, he traced his hands through her hair, the silky texture of it making him want to calm, but the harsh reality pulling him out of that calm sense as he looked at her, he sat beside her as he pressed his lips to her forehead, letting his lips linger on the warm skin a bit more than necessary just feeling the warmth and enjoying her closeness, a calm reassurance that she was happy, in pain but happy none the less, he feared how she would react to the truth when forced to face with it, if he could, he would have gone back in time and stopped this horrendous thing from happening to her, but life didn't work that way, now did it? What if the truth was too much for her and he lost her? It was a possibility, a possibility that scared him to no end. He squeezed his eyes shut, agony zinged through his heart as he laid his forehead against hers breathing in the calming scent that relaxed him, that made him forget about everything, for a few precious moments he wanted to just feel her close, to be near her warmth, to assure himself that she was fine.

"I don't think I would ever be able to tell her that the poison given to her though didn't take her life had taken her motherhood." Karn confessed, his voice ringing with the soul wrenching pain that surrounded him every second of his life, that made him feel dead every passing moment, what sort of king he was if couldn't protect the queen of his own heart? What sort of warrior was he if he failed to protect the one girl he loved the most? His conscious taunted him, snarling at his incapacity to protect her, his enemies had hurt her in the worst of ways and what was he able to do? Stand by and watch? Fury and pain tangled in his heart creating a deadly mixture, killing him from within every passing moment, he failed her, he failed the one woman whom he loved more than his soul, he didn't deserve to be husband, he didn't deserve something as precious as her, someone who was so very loving and kind.