Chapter 48

A tired sigh passed through Vrikodar's lips, as he rested his head on the back of his seat.

His eyes burned from continuous reading of all the documents, this was one thing that he hated the most.

Give him a hundred attackers and he'll kill them all easily, but one document of finance and accounts, and he was ready to sleep.

Perhaps one day when he grew old, and couldn't sleep, maybe this numbers will prove to be a good sleeping medicine.

He pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing heavily. He had no time to waste, work called him. A groan slipped past his lips, why did he have to do things like this? What he wouldn't give to just sleep at this moment.

The shifting of the air pressure had his eyes flying open, his hand wrapped around the dagger, as he gazed around the dark surroundings of the room, that were barely lit by the oil lamps.

The feeling that someone was watching him intensified, making him tighten his hand on the hilt of the dagger, he pushed off the chair, while he slowly moved to the door, his body was on high alert while he sensed every little moment.

The curtains fluttered, as a cold night wind passed through the room. The twilight providing him a better vision.

The moments on the right, had his hand shooting out, he wrapped his arm around the neck of the person and pulled them sharply against his chest.

The scent of blue lotuses filled his nose, before he heard the soft feminine whisper of his wife.

"Arya." He sighed, hiding the dagger in his waistband before she could notice it.

He wrapped his hands around her shoulders before turning her around to face him.

"What are you doing here at this hour Panchaali?" He questioned, cupping her cheek, his gaze tracing the features of her beautiful face.

She raised her eye brow, as she tilted her head sideways, a teasing grin appearing on her lips, her dark orbs lighting with amusement while she gazed up at him.

"Shouldn't I be asking you this? What are you doing here? Attacking sweet innocent woman like me." She teased, her voice laced with mischief, he rolled his eyes as a grin appeared on his lips.

"Innocent woman you say? I can't find any innocent here. " He played along, humour lighting his voice, while he gazed at her. Leave to Panchaali to make him laugh at night, well past midnight.

She gasped in a fake manner, as though offended earning a chuckle from him.

"Haawww arya. Don't tell me you turn blind at night." She teased, giggling running away making him growl in mock anger as he ran behind her.

"Panchaali you're so gonna pay for this." He fake threatened, running after her, if he wanted he could have caught her but there was just something about being silly with her that made his heart ease. In the day to day stress of being a king, a good husband, a good father, Panchaali was his one escape. Where he could just be himself without the fear of being judged.

He chuckled deeper, his hand sought out as he wrapped it around her hand, and tugged her sharply making her slam in his chest. He smirked, locking his arms around her caging her in his arms.

"You wanna say something now love?" He taunted, her sweet blue lotus fragrance intoxicating him making him forget all about everything except the women in his arms.

He tightened his arms around her, pulling her closer to his chest. Her breath hitched, as his rough warrior hands caressed her soft skin making sparks fly down her body.