[24] The Lighthouse

Previously—

"So.... can I ask you a question?"

"Shoot"

"Why don't you do relationships?"

.

Silence

.

"I'm sorry, am I stepping out of my boundaries?" "No no Cupcake" he said while giving me a pleasant smile. "Let's just say, my past experiences have taught me that you can't depend on someone for your own happiness......once they are gone, your happiness is snatched away from you too." He sighed as he clenched his steering wheel hard, hard enough to make his hand go white.

I just stared at him. He concentrated on the road. We both remained silent till he said something that I never expected him to "2 years ago, when we met at a party. Where you know....."

"You made my best friend cry" I completed his sentence as he nodded. "That night, I was not myself, I had got to know about my mother's conditions that night.

She told me that she had a stage IIIB lung cancer....."

After saying my confusion he continued "There are 4 stages in total. Doctors split stage III lung cancer into three main subtypes.

Stage IIIA: You have one or more tumors in one lung. The cancer is in nearby lymph nodes. The cancer may be in certain nearby tissues, but it hasn't reached distant organs.

Stage IIIB: You have one or more tumors in the same lung. Your cancer may have spread to lymph nodes above your collarbone and may be in lymph nodes on the opposite side of your chest. The cancer may be in certain nearby tissues but not in distant organs.

Stage IIIC: This is the most advanced stage within stage III. Your cancer has spread to lymph nodes above your collarbone or to lymph nodes on the opposite side of your chest. The cancer may be in the chest wall, heart, breastbone, and other nearby tissues but hasn't spread to distant organs.

And the Stage IV, is the last and the most serious stage of lung cancer" he explained as I kept looking at him. Just listening then he added "I'm sorry, if I hurt you or your friend I-" His eyes were damp and he was biting his tongue to stop his eyes from getting watery.

I placed my hand on his thighs and squeezed it, He gave me a smile taking my hand in his as he brought my hand to his lips as he kissed it. I took a sharp inhale due to that action.

He had the most beautiful soft plump lips, and the most gorgeous smile to complete it. This Elijah is my favorite.

In the middle of the road he stopped the car, no other car was in sight, the moon was glowing, it was freezing cold outside but We decided to get out of the car anyway.

I saw Elijah staring at the sky.... "Beautiful, isn't it?" He asked as I nodded. "Now look to your left..." he said. I turned my head to my left as I saw the Mediterranean Sea. Wow......

"Not that dumbo, that" Elijah said while he pointed to a lighthouse. "That's the place I wanted to take you, let's go" he said as he came up to me and offered me to take his hand.