Chapter Eighteen

XVIII
• • •

When my alarm went off, Ashton and I loudly groaned at the same time, which made us break out into tired laughter. I knew that neither of us would get up if I didn't make an effort, so I rolled out of bed. My hair was still slightly damp from the shower I had taken last night, but it was mostly dry.

"Get up you dingus," I said over to him as I changed into my outfit for the day.

See, I noticed that whenever I was feeling down, dressing in a nice outfit helped me along my way to feeling better.. so even though I wanted to throw on sweats and call it a day, I picked out an olive-green corduroy skirt with a black tube top, a denim jacket, and doc martens.

I hadn't brought any clothes with me and the only clothes I had at Ashton's were random articles of clothing that I'd periodically forgotten there, so Layla let me borrow some things. Thankfully she was both a great future-sister-in-law, and my size.

"I still don't know what a dingus is," he commented, not budging.

"What do you mean still?" I asked as I finished getting dressed.

"You called me that when we first met, remember?" He replied.

"Oh yeaaaah," I remembered, "quite the romantic story of when we met to tell our future kids," I joked and started brushing my teeth.

But then I realized that talking about your future kids with your boyfriend is probably a big no-no. I awkwardly looked over to him as he finally got out of bed, got dressed, and brushed his teeth.

"Me saying that didn't just spark something inside you that made you now not be able to look at me without cringing, right?" I asked and he chuckled.

"Of course not," he replied, "when we tell them, I'll make sure to add that if they ever have a random psycho spill Gatorade on them in the halls, they're a keeper." I chuckled and smiled at him as we opened his door and began making our way towards the kitchen.

"You spilt Gatorade on me first, though," I reminded him.

"Well you walked into me," he countered and I rolled my eyes.

"Ugh not this again," Layla chimed in from the kitchen, clearly having heard this argument a few too many times.

"Do you want me to go get Connor up?" Layla offered.

"Sure, thanks," I smiled to her and she smiled back before leaving the kitchen.

"So what's the plan?" Ashton asked in his usual forgetful fashion.

"We're gonna drop Connor off with my mother and then you'll drop me off at my college and then you'll go back to your college," I laid it out pretty simply as I poured us out some coffee.

"When's your class?" He asked as I sat down next to him at the table.

"Eleven, so it's gonna be a little tight getting there," I replied and he nodded.

"I miss you," he told me and I looked back at him with a small smile, a little confused.

"But I'm right here," I replied.

"Yeah, but, I still miss you. Every morning when I wake up and see good-for-nothing Trevor I think about how much I want to be waking up with you, and then I can't even see you for a week at a time- if not longer," he listed off, and I smiled softly at him. "It just sucks."

"I'd say something cheesy and cliché about always being with you, but just know that I feel the exact same way," I replied and he looked back into my eyes with a small smile.