chapter 8

Isaac POV:

Harrison was really good at soccer. So far, he seemed like quite a versatile player and from what I could see, I think Coach liked him.

"Who's that guy?" Zavier came and stood by my side, keeping his eyes on Harrison.

"Harrison, he's new here." I answered, watching him score another goal.

"Jones, get on the field now." Coach ordered. I jogged on, being sucked into the game straight away, and receiving the ball.

Harrison then tried to intercept the ball from me but instead got his foot tangled in mine causing me to fall, and him with me.

I groaned at the sudden impact of my shoulder hitting the ground and the body that had come falling after.

It seemed like I had fallen too many times recently.

Harrison had landed awkwardly on top of me and was in a sort of state of shock as he stared back at me.

"You can get off me you know." I chuckled at his reaction. His eyes widened as he quickly stumbled off of me, apologising profusely.

I stood up, dusting myself off, and carried on the game. I had barely hurt myself this time and Coach didn't object.

At the end of practice, everyone headed to the changing rooms, after Coach had informed the players trying out that he'd announce who made it in a few days.

Everyone chattered bubbly, pumped by the adrenaline from the game. However, I felt Zavier's glare on me but with no explanation, I ignored it.

Everyone slowly started to fill out, leaving just Zavier and I alone in the changing rooms.

I turned so my back was to Zavier and was about to pick up my bag when I felt Zavier coming towards me. I turned back around quickly but he had already trapped me with his arms, leaving me no escape but to look in his eyes.

"What the fuck was that?"

"What?" I was genuinely confused, he had done all this just to ask me 'what was that.'

"You and that new guy."

Dramatic much. "His name is Harrison and basically, I had the ball and because he's on the other team, he wanted the ball so in order to get the ball-" I tried explaining in simple terms to Zavier. It must've been hard not being smart enough to understand the sport you were the captain of.

"I know that Isaac. Stop being a smartass. I meant why were you flirting with him while in the game? You need to concentrate more." He basically lectured me.

"Okay so I'm going to look over the fact you called me a smartass because it's not my fault you asked such a general question." I replied.

"See, smartass." He mumbled.

Once again, I ignored him carrying on. "Your definition of flirting must be warped by the amount of girls you've slept with. He fell on me and I laughed it off, then we both got up. Simple." I gave him a sarcastic smile.

I didn't want to think about it but I felt like he was getting closer to me, his leg now pressed into mine and the close proximity was making me feel uneasy.

"Can you get off me now?" I attempted to lean further back into the wall but there was nowhere to go. Zavier gave me an evil smile, just realising how uncomfortable I felt. Instead of moving back, he moved closer to me, his nose almost touching mine.

"Okay Zavier, very funny." I'm surprised I was even able to get those words out as my body felt on fire from how close he was. I bit my lip nervously, wondering what he was thinking.

His gaze flitted down from my eyes to my lips before going back to my eyes. Zavier always did this teasing shit but it felt weird this time; almost intense.

"You are so easy to tease." He whispered against my lips, making heat rush through me at the feeling of his lips brushing against mine, before leaning away and going back to the original position before I felt uncomfortable but still not fully letting me go.

"Is anyone still her- Oh shit I didn't mean to... Err..interrupt." Harrison stuttered, walking straight back out.

Zavier smirked, stepping away from me.

"You fucking asshole." I spat at him, taking my bag then going after Harrison to explain the misunderstanding. I was just thankful that he hadn't caught us in the other -quite intimate- position.

"Wait..Harrison." I called after him, making him stop and face me. His shoulders were a bit hunched over, and it looked like... his eyes were watering?

"Are you okay?" I asked him for the second time today. It was like everything I did somehow upset him.

"I didn't know you and Zavier were a thing now. I didn't know you were gay... or bi... or pan.. or any other sexuality."

"Oh no I'm not. And Zavier and I are definitely not a thing. Ever. He was just being a pisstake as usual, and he just wanted to annoy me more." I explained the best I could. Again, at something I thought would bring Harrison relief, he looked sad at my first sentence.

"Harrison, I don't know what I've done, but I really don't mean to make you sad all the time." I apologised and got closer and for once, he didn't seem to move away.

"No it's my fault, I've just been selfish and I realise that now. You've done nothing wrong." His mood seemed to lighten up. I would never understand how quickly his emotions could switch up.

I didn't know what to say so I just smiled, putting up an awkward thumbs up. Zavier finally came out of the changing rooms and being the nice person he was, when walking past, he deliberately shoved past the same shoulder I had fallen on in the game.

Not petty at all.

A/N: Short chapter, enjoy reading. 06/08/20