chapter 26

Isaac POV:

"I'm sorry I couldn't be there to pick you up yesterday. Coach sent an email saying you guys would be back latest 9AM, so I had arranged a nail appointment at 9:30 AM, just before my meeting at work, and just in time so that I could maybe stop at Starbucks and have a little catch up with my girlfriends-"

I stopped picking at the scrambled eggs on my plate and looked up at my mom's gushing face, "Please don't say girlfriends."

"And why not?"

"Because-" I got ready to explain, but realised I'd just be delaying the inevitable, so I shook my head, indicating for her to carry on.

After 2 minutes of her non stop talking about her meet up with her 'girlfriends', and her digressing from the subject of why she didn't pick me up yesterday, I stood up abruptly, swiping a protein bar into my pocket.

"Look at that." I glanced down at my non existent watch for a millisecond. "I'm late to school, I better go now." I quickly got up and speed walked to the door, not allowing any time for her to protest. "Love you, bye." I spoke as I shut the door, not waiting for her reply.

"Thank god." I breathed out.

My mum had mentioned something about my car going under repair, so I had to walk to school. Technically, I could've asked Gemma or Jax for a ride, but it was only a 15 minute walk so I decided against it.

Getting near to the entrance of school, I felt arms wrap around my waist, pulling me closer to them. I instantly knew who it was, grinning already, "Jax."

He unwrapped his arms from around me, allowing me to turn around to his beaming face. "I missed you man."

"So did I." I grinned back, walking with him into the dreaded hallways.

"You guys forget about me?" I heard Gemma's voice and turned around to see her with a small smile on her face. "I missed your grumpy face." She punched my arm playfully, but it felt like a hard punch to me.

"How was soccer then?" Gemma spoke as we got into the hallways, seeing freshman running back and forth, holding their books to their chests.

Thoughts of Zavier- specifically his lips- flooded into my mind, but I quickly pushed them out, internally cringing for thinking of him first.

"Good... yeah, good." I went for instead, leaning against a locker. "How was you guys' break?"

Jax's eyes twinkled as he looked at Gemma with a knowing grin, "Gemma met som-" His sentence was cut short as Gemma covered his mouth with her hand, making the rest of his words come out muffled. "Shut up Jax." She frowned, avoiding my eyes.

"What? You like someone else? Weren't you just eating Harrison's ass out like yesterday?"

"Okay first off, that is a gross metaphor you used, and second of all, we both mutually decided we're better off as friends. Plus, I think he likes someone else, he won't tell me, but it's obvious he does."

"Well who's the person you like?" Curiosity crept in, judged on the fact Gemma was seeming a bit embarrassed, playing with the ends of her hair.

"Uhh I... Oh look, there's Harry."

True to her word, Harrison was walking towards us, with Hattie by his side. Neither had seen us, as they looked to be in a heated discussion, with Hattie rolling her eyes at him then looking straight ahead to see us watching them. She nudged Harrison, nodding towards us, making Harrison also cease his talking as he glanced towards us. I noticed Hattie's focus shift slightly to the left of me, where Gemma was, as a hint of a grin appeared on her face.