Inai Ni Yami ((An Original Story)) Chapter 29

Chapter 29

"Hey, Eve..."

Her eyes opened, sluggish and heavy. When she could see completely, her eyes landed on cold blue ones that held flames within. He caressed her face with the palm of his hand, leaning forward so that their foreheads touched.

"Did you really forget me? Forget this?"

His lips brushed over hers, teasing the senses. Leaving her to want more. She found herself leaning towards him even as he pulled away slightly, pressing two fingers to her lips.

"How could you?"

Hurt. His eye's were so hurt. Guilt flashed through her. She wanted to say she didn't forget anything, that she still remembered... but remembered what exactly? Nothing, and that's the problem. All I know is of the time before you... Why can't I remember?

"This must be goodbye then..."

"No!" With a startled cry, Eve sat up, clutching at a large red blanket, her body shaking uncontrollably. If I'd been a human, I'd be sweating right now, wouldn't I? Slowly, Eve brought the blanket tightly around her and searched the room, taking in the details of it. This was a room she recognized so very well... a private, one bed room that she'd lived in throughout her life as Eve, the Kagami of Eve, the Dorei princess. She was in ShiroTech, in her old Elite room.

"No? Already denying our offer and yet you've heard nothing of it." A familiar voice, another one from Eve's past... and present. A voice she hated, yet cared for... Good... bad... Rio. And she was right. He stood at the corner of the room, a manila in his hands. There were a few changes to his appearance, subtle but there still. His hair had been dyed black, like Takeyama's, and accompanied with the cold blue eyes that he'd always had he looked like a smaller version of him. His body was a bit taller to help with the illusion that he was a growing boy and now he wore more formal clothes. A suit. Tie. Black dress shoes.

The perfect getup, all in all.

He grinned, noticing the way Eve had given him the once-over and couldn't help but look at her himself. Still cold, resigned from the world. When she looked at him, it was with knowing yet unsure eyes, as if her memories weren't quite there yet. Perfect. Still grinning, he held out the manila folder for her, walking closer to the bed until they were a foot apart. She tensed but said nothing. Rio dropped the folder and turned away, listening as she took it from the spot he'd left it.

"You can come back, Eve. Forget all the faults you've made. Star anew with ShiroTech." He heard the shuffle of paper as she sifted through the countless files he had on her and all that she was. A NiKagami. A Hybrid. The newest in the world of Mecka-Kikai's and Kagami's. "You may not remember what you thought you were, but in those files I have all the facts f who you really are. The three people whom you represent. Princess Evelyn, eldest in the three of the Dorei princesses, killed by Zakiya Crimean and then later taken to ShiroTech for replication for a new project; Kagami's.

"Soon after, Evelyn Cole Bailey, a great and renowned researcher in the Over World. She'd found ancient documents on Shin-En we couldn't find and managed to get more and more documents, even decipher many of our different artifacts despite them being in languages the humans of her world no longer use. Just as she was entering the cave, she was found and ambushed by Steve, a Kurai and expert bounty hunter of our own."

That's it. The memories I'd been seeing before the ones that belonged to the Kagami Eve...

"The two of them ended up falling down on the descent to Shin-En and were found close to death near a cave by a few guarding Kurai's in search of Dorei's."