Part 20

Khushi "ji naniji, it is true". She had answered all her questions looking down. She is too scared to look up into anyones eyes. Oh how she hated him for doing this to her. Couldn't he have thought of something else.

Nani "Khushi bitiya , not like this, look at me and then say it.".

Khushi slowly looks up. All eyes are fixed at her. "yes,tell me now "

Khushi " ji naniji , I mm we ........"

she is unable to continue.

Arnav "Nani ji" .

Arnav realizes that Khushi is having a tough time and tries to answer instead.

Nani in a stern voice "chote you keep quite. I am talking to Khushi bitiya".

Arnav looks at her "speak up"

Khushi "ji naniji" pauses.

Nani "why are you stuck on 'ji naniji' I am waiting to hear the rest." In a stern voice.

Khushi "ji naniji, I also ............" "like" barely in a whisper "him" pauses.

Arnav looks at the bent head of Khushi and smiles faintly, but inside violins are playing.

Arnav to himself "I love you Ms. Khushi Kumari Gupta,"

Nani "even NK likes you so would you....?" before she could finish her sentence

NK shouts "yes Nani , I also ......" .

Arnav "just shutup NK or...." threateningly. "Nani, what do you want us to say" after a pause "yes we love each other, is that ok now."

Nani " and you want to get married mmm..." .

Khushi is silent . "tell me Khushi bitiya"

Khushi ""ji naniji" pauses.

Nani "what ji naniji " anger in her voice.

Khushi "and want to get married" out before she could stop herself.

Everyone bursts out laughing.

Anjali gets up and hugs Khushi and Arnav. "Naniji stop it. I think they are speaking the truth. You can see it in their eyes." and grins.

Arnav let goes of Khushi's hand now.

Khushi hadn't realized it till now that she had been holding it so tightly for support. She looks down at their hands. Amma and Payal come and stand beside Khushi.

Payal pulls Khushi's hand and takes her aside. "Khushi you know what you are saying. You and him? Are you sure he is not troubling you. Do you really love him."

Khushi "no jiji he is not troubling me and I really love him" she could say this to her jiji without any hesitation because that was the truth.

Payal looks at her expecting her to continue. "Jiji, even I was not sure of my feelings for him till I saw that scorpion on his hands. I rushed to save him because I loved him and have loved him for a very long time now."

Payal "and he?"

Khushi hesitates now, "jiji he also loves me".

Payal "how do you know". Before Khushi could answer nani and buaji come.

Nani "Khushi, we will be very pleased to have you as our daughter in law. I have always liked you. Come here." .

Khushi and Payal follow her. She takes Khushi by her shoulders and makes her stand besides Arnav. Khushi blushes and is not able to look up at anyone and starts looking down again. "Khushi bitiya look up,let me see how the two of you look together as a couple."

Anjali "perfect match" very excitedly. "I never thought that all those fights and drama were a farce. It seems that it was only to keep us from suspecting you two."

Nani turning to Garima and buaji "We would like to know how you think about this. Without your consent nothing will happen. You already know that we would be glad to have Khushi bitiya as our daughter in law. But you need to let us know your views about it. Your consent is of utmost important to us"

Garima and buaji look at each other. They come and sit near babuji and discuss the issue. They call Payal and ask her "Did you talk to Khushi. What did she say."

Payal "buaji Arnav ji is telling the truth. They both love each other. Khushi would be very happy with him"

Garima "didi what do you say."

"if this is what Nandkishore wants then so be it. What do you say Shashi babua" He also tries to smile.

Buaji comes and stands in front of nani and says "even we are very happy with this alliance."

Mamiji had been sitting quietly all this while now gets up and "hello hi bye bye, but has anyone noticed that the elder sister will be marrying the younger brother and the younger sister the elder brother."

Nani in anger "Elder and younger don't make a difference. Relationships are not based on age they are made from the hearts. I don't think that should be an issue, at least it doesn't make a difference to me. What about you Payal? Do you have a problem if your younger sister marries your husband's elder brother."

Payal "No, naniji it doesn't make a difference to me. On the contrary I would be very happy as we would get a chance to stay together even after marriage."

Everyone is very happy now.