Part 34

Arnav "Can I switch off the lights?"

Khushi hesitatingly "mm yes"

Arnav switches off the lights. Khushi had closed her eyes tightly thinking that when she would open them it would be pitch dark and she was afraid of darkness. But when she opened her eyes it was not at all dark.

Arnav had remembered that she was afraid of darkness and had bought a small night lamp for her. He had switched it on for her. She turns to look at him but he was already in bed with his back towards her. She also lies down and closes her eyes. But this time when she opens them, tears start brimming in her eyes. Her gaze falls on the ceiling. He had put florescent stars on top of the bed, along with a small crescent moon. The stars were now shinning in the light of the night lamp.

Khushi could not take her eyes of the stars. He had remembered each and every little thing that she had told him. She turns towards him but since his back was towards her she promises herself to say thank you to him first thing in the morning. She was still wondered as to why he had gone through so much pain for her, why the night lamp, why the stars when the days toll took over her and she falls asleep.

Arnav had turned to his side but sleep was miles away. How could he sleep when she was there in his bed with him, just a few inches away from him? He remembered the New Year's night how he had got up in anger and then got lost in her looks. He waited for some time and when he was sure that she was fast asleep he turns over to face her. She looked extremely beautiful and innocent, her hair spread all over her pillow, with a few strands falling on her cheeks. The urge to remove the strands was very strong so was the urge to touch her and kiss her. But he restrains himself; he knew it was not right pushing her too fast into anything. He covers her with the blanket.

The rest of the night he spent just staring at her. He could look at her at his heart's content as she was fast asleep and would never know. An inner instinct however told her that Arnav was watching her and she did open her eyes once or twice, but closed them back with a smile on her lips, thinking it to be a dream.

It was morning when he looked at his watch. He had spent the entire night looking at his lady love. He had forgotten to sleep or he thought maybe even breath.

Both of them were facing each other when Khushi opens her eyes dreamily. She finds Arnav smiling at her; she smiles a little and closes her eyes.

After a few minutes she again opens them and her smile widens but she again closes them. The third time when she opens her eyes her smile is as long as the Nile and she stretches out her hand to touch his face.

She was about to touches his cheeks when Arnav says with a grin "it's not a dream Khushi,I am here".

Khushi blushes and sits upright. Yesterday nights events come rushing back to her. "No, I mean ..."

Arnav"Khushi! You freshen up first,we'll talk later. We have a long day ahead "he cuts her off.

Khushi goes to the almira but hesitates to open it.

Arnav "are you going to open it yourself or do you want to hire someone to do it for you." Bows down. "At your service Mam. I would like to apply for the job. However Mam I'll take my salary in kind."

Khushi quickly opens the door, takes out the red Saree and rushes to the wash room.

Arnav knew that if her left her alone she would take hours to get used to this new change her in life. The only way to tackle her was to keep throwing challenges at her. He rolls over to the other side of the bed where Khushi had been sleeping and buries his face on her pillow. He could still fell the warmth and fragrance of her body. He took his time to savoir the intoxicating feeling, but hurriedly gets up when he hears the bathroom door open.

Khushi enters the room with her hair tied in a bun. She is wearing the heavy red saree for the Puja. Though he would have loved to watch her get dressed for the day, but he knew that it would make her more uncomfortable, so he walks past her to the almira to take out his own dress. Di had bought a kurta pyjama for him. He took it out and looked at it with a frown and then throws it on the bed. He then takes out his usual white shirt and black trousers and goes to the bathroom.

Khushi realizes that Di must have asked him to wear the kurta pyjama for the Puja.

Khushi tidies the room and arranges the blankets in their place. She is about the hang the kurta pyjama back in the almira when Arnav comes out. He sees her holding the kurta pyjama in her hands.

Khushi pointing to the kurta pyjama in her hands "Anjaliji,mmm I mean Di has bought this for you?"

Target: 140+ votes