Chapter 17

(Y/n)'s POV

Luda May was behind the register while I was sweeping the floor. Finally I could do some work and help Luda May. Some customers came by but I only focused on my work. Strangely I didn't care anymore about escaping this place. It felt like I had been here forever. But what was coming in my mind almost every minute was that Henrietta would be here at any time. The thought that she didn't like me was on top of my mind. I wanted to make a good first impression.

Luda May seems to notice that I was thinking of something but she didn't say anything. I look around the store to see if there was anything that would catch my eyes. It looked the same lie before but maybe I could do some dusting in here. I can hear that Luda May was humming behind the register. It was so hot out and inside so most of the customers that came by just wanted to have something to drink.

"Are you okay darlin'?" Luda May suddenly said and I started to smile at her. "Everything is just perfect. I'm just little nervous." I say to her which makes her giggle softly. "Don't be. Who wouldn't like you?" She asks and I feel little better than before. This was just so new to me that I didn't know how to react without being all weird. "Come here." She says and I obey her order. She puts her hands on cheeks and gives them a little pats. "You're perfect the way you are. She'll love you, believe me."

I can feel myself to tear up because of her kind words. She knows what to say to make me feel better. "Thank you." I say to her as she wipes the tears away from my eyes. The moment was ruined when some bikers walked in the shop. There was only four of them, all of them were men. Luda May looks at them little annoyed that they were here. I move away from Luda May and start to organize some of the good she sells here while I was listening to their talk.

They were talking about work and women which wasn't interesting at all. "Darlin' could you take the trash out?" I hear Luda May ask which caught my attention. To my dismay the men also heard this and they started to chuckle among themselves. I shake my head and take the bag with me. I walk to the back door. I don't know what was so funny but they were outsiders... Like I was long time ago.

I put the bag in the dumpster and I now realized how hot it was outside. It would probably kill me if had to stay out all day without water or any cover from the sun. I leave the bag there and start to head back in but I have a little strange feeling. Like I was being watched. I look around but don't see anything. Maybe I was being little paranoid? I shake my head and turn to go back inside of the gas station.

Luda May seemed to be angrier than before but I ignored them from now. I took the broom and take it back to the back room. I washed my hands and looked myself in the mirror. I looked to be happier than before. I loved the freedom which I was given by Hoyt but I don't want to feel like I was owing something to that old man. Especially when he has been so horrible towards me. I didn't appreciate the way he was talking to me.

I walk back to the store to see that those bikers were now sitting at the other side of the store. They were drinking some drinks and laughing together loudly. Luda May didn't seem to be happy at all. "Did something happen?" I ask from her but she shakes her head. "Just boys bein' boys. No respect towards us." She says and I nod at her words. At least Thomas wasn't like that. He was always so polite to me which made my legs feel weak.

I don't know what he was doing to me but I loved it. I couldn't get enough of him. I absolutely loved to spend time with him and I felt safe when I was with him. He was so strong and mysterious and something about him made me feel strangely attached to him. Like he was the only thing that brought me happiness. I was once again daydreaming of him like some school girl. All that blood didn't bother me anymore now that I was used to it. It made him look so powerful.