Chapter 17

Ava's POV

I quickly scrambled to my feet and shuffled away from the intruder. He looked at me skeptically and raised his hand in gesture to show that he meant no harm, but I wasn't about to fall for his trap and let my guard down.

I squinted my eyes to get a better look at him and then the realization dawned on me. I've seen him before, more specifically; he has been chasing me for months now.

There was no way that he came in here without the intention of capturing me and offering me to the highest bidder.

"I'm not here to hurt you" he said in a calm voice taking steps closer towards me.

"Don't come any closer" I said in a panic, holding out my hands before me ready to attack if he tried anything.

"Look, you are not safe here" he sighed straightening his posture and running his hands through his hair.

"No shit" I deadpanned.

"They know you are here. They have known for months now" he said in a serious tone.

"No one knows where I am... Apart from you of course"

"They know. They have just been using the time to make a machine that they can use to control you. They don't want you dead. They want to use you as a machine to wipe out their enemies" he explained.

"Why are you telling me this? Why are you here?" I asked still not convinced.

There was just no way that a complete stranger who has been hunting you for months just randomly showed up out of the blue to warn you.

"For months I thought that you were the enemy. They brainwashed everyone to see you as a threat, but I know the truth now"

"And what is the truth?" I asked intrigued.

"You didn't kill those people on purpose, did you?" he stated it as more of a statement than a question.

I remained silent after his question. This was a very touchy topic for me, and frankly I didn't want to talk about it.

"Well I guess I have my answer" he said looking at my distraught face.

"Why are you really here?" I asked wiping away a tear before it fell.

"My brother"

"Your brother?" I asked confused.

"He doesn't know me, but I heard that you are his mate"

"Jayden" I whispered, taking a closer look at the man before me.

"Yes. If you don't get away from here now, they're going to use you to kill him"

At hearing that, my chest constricted painfully at the thought of killing my own mate. I know that we might never be together, but that didn't mean that I would ever want him dead.

"I don't know what happened between you two, but I'm sure you don't want him dead" he said stepping closer.

"Don't come any closer" I gritted out.

I wasn't about to be fooled by this man, whatever his name was. He could be here to lead me into a trap for all I know. I've never heard of Jayden having any siblings, so this just didn't make sense.

What if he was stalling?

What if this was all a diversion to get me to let my guard down?

For all I knew he could be the one that they sent to get the job done. I wasn't about to just sit back and let him full my head with lies.

"You know what? Get out!" I shouted pointing to the entrance.