Chapter 18

Ava's POV

I couldn't look away from his smoldering eyes that seemed to be able to see into my soul. It was like he was able to see all the pain I have been hiding inside and letting me know through his eyes that he was here for me.

It was strange seeing his concerned face directed in my direction. He seemed so sincere and guilty, that it broke my heart knowing that he was sad. It was weird. It must be a mate thing, because he has hurt me, but yet still I was here heartbroken because he was sad.

Weird.

I could feel the sparks from where his hand was connected to mine. I was finally getting back control over my body. I squeezed his hand just to make sure that he was actually here and I wasn't imaging this.

He smiled and leaned forward to plant a kiss on my forehead. The butterflies in my stomach fluttered around as a warm feeling settled inside.

For the first time since I have met him, he was genuinely concerned and showing his vulnerability through his eyes. I could see the worry and admiration shining through his eyes, but it could also be my imagination tricking me into seeing what I wanted to see.

Deciding that it was best to just not think about it now, I just focused my attention on him and not think too much. I knew him all too well. He could be nice now, and cold the next second.

"We're going to get you out of here" Jayden said with a reassuring smile.

Right. I was still in this awful place. For a second I totally forgot that I was here because I was so lost in his eyes.

I looked down and saw a man sewing up my stomach. I was terrified at what I saw. There was a long cut in the middle of my abdomen which was now being sewn closed. I wasn't in any pain, because for some reason my stomach felt numb.

Without knowing, tears welled up in my eyes and I looked up to the ceiling letting them flow. I could feel a burn in my back, but I had no idea why.

I tried to get up, but was pushed back down almost immediately by Jayden.

"Don't move" he said with a stern look.

I remained still, until the man that was sewing me up was done. I was about to get up, but again, I was pushed back down.

"Wait. You can't get up yet" he said.

"Why not?" I asked frustrated. I wanted to get up, but he wouldn't let me move.

"We have to figure out how to get this thing out of your back first" he said looking at the machine behind me.

"Go figure out how to detach this thing from her back" he ordered the man that was previously sewing me up just a minute ago.

"What is it?" I asked with concern.

"Nothing you have to worry about. I won't let anything happen to you" he looked at me with a determined expression.

His reassuring gaze made me a little less worried, but worried nonetheless. So there was something in my back this whole time. I actually thought I imagined the pain for a second there, turns out there was something actually embedded in my back.

Slowly I felt something detach itself from my back and I was finally free to move. I got up off the table that my body previously laid on.

I focused my attention at the mechanical replica of a spine. It was drenched in blood that no doubt belonged to me.

"How- why- what?" I was in shock mumbling incoherent words not able to take my eyes off the spine that was once embedded in my back.

In a daze, I ran my hand along my spine and felt the indent of where the mechanical spine was. I brought my hands to my face and saw my hand covered in blood.