Chapter 36

Ava's POV

"You can't go in there" I heard muffled voices coming from the other side of the door.

"I need to make sure she's ok" I could clearly make out Jayden's voice.

Elsa was on the other side probably blocking his path, which wasn't the smartest idea. Never come between two mates, especially an alpha. They were very overprotective and caring over their other half.

"If you don't move out of my fucking way this minute, I swear to god that-" I could practically feel the angry radiating off him, even from the other side of the door.

"That what? You'll rip me to shreds. Go ahead; I'd like to see you try." It was clear that Elsa had a death wish, but I had to give it to her. She was being the overprotective friend, and I truly loved her for it.

"Are you okay?" A concerned Katie nudged me in the shoulder with her own.

"No. I'm not ok. I just met the woman who gave birth to me and I also just found out that my mate had been lying to me for months. Yet, he says that there were no secrets between us, when he was keeping all of this from me. He's such a-"

"Hypocrite" she finished my sentence.

"Yeah. I want to hate him, but I can't. Ugh, it's so frustrating" I complained running a hand down my face.

"Stupid mate bond" I hissed.

"Let it all out" she rubbed my back soothingly.

"Like why now? Why did he decide that right now would be a good time to finally tell me?"

Katie remained quiet as I complained. It was probably the hormones talking. It was like all the emotions swirling inside of me were increased tenfold.

Stupid hormones.

"Ava" a small frightened voice called out from the other side of the door.

I got up off the bed almost immediately and made my way over to the door. As soon a I pull the door open, I was greeted by a small trembling figure.

I bend down and took him in my arms, cradling him against my chest. I then focus my glare on the culprit responsible for scaring him. Jayden looked at me with guilt, his shoulders sagging in defeat.

I look to the side where Elsa stood and I nodded my head to let her know that I would be ok. She walked off, glaring at Jayden, despite the fact that he was her alpha.

"I need time. We'll talk tomorrow over breakfast" I looked at him watching as his tense muscles slowly relaxed.

"But that doesn't mean I forgive you" I continued, watching as his muscles tense up once again.

Not waiting for a reply, I went back inside our room and closed the door behind me. Then an idea popped into mind, and I decided that it was only fair given the situation.

I opened the door just as he was about to walk off, but he stopped himself and look at me with hopeful eyes.

"You're sleeping on the couch tonight" I announced, and closed the door once more.

"I should be getting back to the twins" Katie said as soon as I close the door.

"Right, I'll see you tomorrow."

"See yah."

I walked over to the bed and put a sleeping Andy down and later got in beside him. I let out a tired yawn and let the darkness envelope me.

...

It was breakfast. I was currently having breakfast with Jayden and Helen. Andy wasn't home, because I had asked Katie to look after him while I deal with this mess.

Jayden looked exhausted like he hadn't slept a wink last night, sucks to be him, because I slept like a baby. Helen looked nervous as she kept fidgeting in her seat. Clearing my throat I decided to break the awkward tension in the room.

"So Helen, you are my mother correct?" I asked sipping my coffee.

"Yes" she replied.

"Is alpha Ryan my father?"

"No. Your father died a long time ago."

"How did he die?" At this, she hesitated.

"How. Did. He. Die?" I asked more clearly. She swallowed nervously, before she let out a defeat sigh.

"He killed himself because of me" she whispered.

"What was that? I didn't quite catch it" I lied.

"He killed himself... because of me" she spoke up louder, her voice filled with regret and shame.

"And what exactly was is it that you did?"

"I left him. After I found out I was pregnant with his child, I left him. I met Ryan, my mate shortly after I gave birth to you, but I just didn't want anything to get in the way so I-I-I-" it seemed as if she was having a hard time getting it out.

"I left you at the border of Crystal Blue pack, far away from the West pack, far enough so that I would never have to see you again. Your father had no idea that I was pregnant or that I had given birth to a beautiful baby girl. He died without any knowledge that he had a child." By the end of her confession, she was a sobbing mess, but for some reason I couldn't find it in me to feel sorry for her.

"Well, thanks to you I had a horrible childhood" I scoffed.

"I didn't mean for you to get hurt" she looked at me with remorse.

"Well it happened. You abandoned me, left me all alone. You have no idea the kind of torment I had to suffer." I was getting angry.

Jayden took my hand, giving it an encouraging squeeze. He entwined our fingers together and brought my hand up to his lip where he placed a gentle kiss on the back of my hand.

"I'm so sorry" she cried.

"No, youre not. You don't care about anyone, but yourself. You know what Helen, I'm giving you 10 minutes to leave this land and never come back" I gritted out through clenched teeth.

"I'm so sorry, please just-"

"LEAVE!" I growled getting up from my seat.

My wolf was itching to come out. I was beyond furious with her lack of obedience, and if she didn't leave very soon...well.

The worst part was that she didn't even have a valid reason for abandoning me. How could she leave a baby all on its own in the woods where predators lurked, where I could have been eaten?

My eyes flash between gold and yellow as I tried desperately to keep my wolf at bay. Killing her would be too kind, so it was best if she was alive so she could suffer. I was sure that Ryan wasn't too happy about the news.

With one last growl that shook the walls, she fumbled to her feet in fear retreating from my shaking figure.

"Hey, it's ok. I'm here"

Jayden.

He was my rock, literally.

He pulled me in a hug, as I buried my face his chest, my sobs rocking my body.

"I'm sorry. I didn't want to hurt you and I thought it would have been best if she told you, so you could get it all out. I never meant to hurt you" he whispered in my ear.

"I know" I manage to get out.

So now I know the truth. I didn't need to wonder anymore why my own mother would leave me like that. I could finally move pass this and focus on my future.

My future with my mate.

Jayden.