Training (Jack Kelly x Reader)

Modern AU, here's the backstory:
You and Jack moved to Santa Fe after you were married. You both took up horseback riding and eventually Barrel Racing. After several years of training, Jack decided to call Race down to train you. So here we are....

Race was going to be arriving soon, so you put on some jeans and a black shirt. You pulled on your boots and went to go get your house 'Mouse' that was his barn name. But his registered name was 'Mousetrap'. Mouse was as a Tennessee Walker, ( lemme just say, they crazy. And hella fast, at least the one I ride is).

You cross tied her in the barn, and went to grab all of her tack from the room in the barn. You began brushing her down when you heard footsteps coming towards you.

" Hey Gorgeous." Jack says with a smile.

" Good morning Jack." You say giving him a kiss.

"Want some help?" He asks.

"No.. I don't think so. But make sure there is a chair or something out there incase Race wants to sit down. And what time is he coming?" You ask. Finishing tightening the girth doing your cowboy knot.

" I believe he's coming at 11?" Jack says looking at his watch

"10:30, just enough time for you to warm up." He smiles.

"Yep! See ya out there cowboy."  You say as you put in a hat. Jack begins to walk away.

" Hey Jack, give me a hand will ya." You say leading Mouse outside. Jack puts down his hand to help boost you up. Once up there you smile at him.

" Wow. You look gorgeous up there." Jack comments, you roll your eyes.

"Be safe out there." He says, hand on your leg.

"See ya out there cowboy." You repeat. Jack walks back up to the house, presumable to wait for Race. You walk Mouse out the field, set up with poles and barrels. You let Mouse walk two laps, then picking up a jog. (T.W. Version of slow trot). You then walk after two laps. Turning the other way and repeating the process. You then hear the golf cart pulling up to the field. You look to see Jack and Race, you wave at Race as he waves back. You pick up a running walk ( super fast trot. Basically a normal horse lope/ canter) you do two laps one way and two laps the other as you walk to go say hello to Race.

Jack smiles as you walk up to him and Race.

"Heya Race! How are you?!" You ask

" I'm doing good y/n, I'm glad to be away from the city for once. Now where is your helmet!?" He says looking at your head.

" Ra-ace. I'm not child anymore, I only wear a hat when trainings." You say as he laughs.

" Alrighty, whatever. But don't come bawling to me when you get hurt." Race says as Jack gives him a playful punch in the arm.

"Lemme lope through a pattern real quick then I can go full out." You say as you exit the arena. You fix your reins giving Mouse slight kick as she immediately picks up a lope. I enter the arena, right turn first. You could tell that Mouse was ready to run but you made she stayed collected as you heard towards the second. A gorgeous turn the second as you go on to the third. Mouse stumbled a bit making a wide turn and you head back off. You walk back in and let Mouse walk again.

" You know how to do pocket-stops?" Race asks. You nod.

" Go ahead and do them." He says. You nod again heading back out. You turn Mouse around giving her a  kick and loosening you reigns signaling you were doing a full run. Mouse bolts for the first barrel as you pull back at the pocket of the barrel. (The pocket it where you go to one hand to turn.) Mouse stops abruptly as you turn the barrel going back to the speed you started at. You stoped at the second, a better stop then turned the barrel as you both bolt to the third. You both stop, as Mouse shakes her head. You wait until she is composed until you turn the third running her home. You stop in the alley as you pat Mouse's neck.

" That's was good y/n. Good for you for making her do it and sticking to it." You smile as you pat Mouse on the the neck again.

"Go ahead and do that again, but don't stop this time." Race says. You nod as you walk back out of the gate.

"Ready Mouse, you got this." You whisper. You learned a long time ago that talking to the horse helps their performance, at least you think it does. You then Mouse around as you give her the command to go. You two come flying out the the gate right turn around the first. Headed toward the second, you pull her around as she bolts toward the third. You make it to the third as Mouse begins to pick up her pace as you turn the third, you begin running home pushing on hand with the reigns forwards, as you pop he with your whip two times. You pull her down outside the arena and walk
her back in.

"17.1" Race says. You groan.

" what's the fastest you've been on her here y/n? Jack asks.

"16.7? I think." You say. You pull back making Mouse stand near Race as he walks over.

" y/n, you're problem is you get nervous. Your shoulders are up, and you pull her around the barrels. This horse knows what she's doing, you want to lift more than pull." Race says as you nod.

" Other than that you look really good y/n. Looks like the country has been doin y'all good." You and Jack laugh.

You,Jack and Rave all end up going on a trial ride to end the day.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
1000 words! Sorry if this is super descriptive, I barrel race so it was easy to go deep into details