If we're Honest (Race x Reader)

Ok so this is like a song-based one? Uhm yeah so sorry if it's bad. Lyrics will be in italics and tw:verbal abuse and fighting

Truth is harder than a lie
The dark seems safer than the light
And everyone has a heart that loves to hide

You were laying in bed waiting for your husband to come home. This was the fifth night in a row he promised to be home for supper, but never arrived.

You heard a key being inserted into the door and put a silk covering over your nightgown and brought an oil lamp out of your bedroom and into the kitchen. You saw Race turn around looking at you. He smelled of beer and cigars, you instantly knew where he had been, that and every other night at the same location. You went back into your bedroom as you heard.

"Sorry y/n, I got caught a work again." Race said. You walked back out with his pillow in hand, and threw it on the couch. You both locked eyes for awhile, as he started to walk up to you.

"You're punishing me for stayin late at work!? Helping us earn more money!" Race shouts

"No Race! We wouldn't NEED more money if you won't have lost it all gambling!!" You shout. He begins to open his mouth to protest.

" AND don't give me that bullshit! 'I stayed late a work'" you mocked him. "You and I both know you were at some bar! Probably drinking all of our money away too." You shout back at him. You feel tears forming in your eyes.

"Y/n I.." he reaches his hand to your cheek but you
look away.

"Goodnight Anthony." You say walking back into your bedroom and shutting the door.

I'm a mess and so are you
We've built walls nobody can get through
Yeah it may be hard but the best thing we could ever do, ever do

The next morning you woke up before Race, trying to minimize contact. You finished getting dressed as you walked into the kitchen seeing him serving two plates of food for breakfast.

"Mornin y/n! Sleep well?" He states "without me." You can hear as he whispers.

" I was perfectly fine without you, Anthony." You say. He sits a plate of eggs and a piece of toast in front of you. You both eat in silence for a few minutes.

" y/n, I'm sorry. I'm sorry that I can't make it home for dinner. Work has just got me.." he stops

"Anthony, stop lying!! We both know you aren't at work until 11 o'clock at night!." You say sternly. Race slams his hand on the table and stands up.

"Just listen to me woman!!" He shouts as you stare at him.

" I wouldn't have to be stressed out and drink so much if you didn't put so much pressure on me to be home!!" Race yells.

"Well guess what ANTHONY! YOU NEVER MAKE IT HOME BEFORE DARK! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO WANTS TO START A FAMILY!! HOW ARE WE SUPPOSED TO DO THAT IF YOU ARE NEVER HOME!!" You about back at him standing up.

"Yeah well, right now, I think you'd make a terrible mother." Race stammers. Your jaw feels like it dropped to the floor, and you feel tears forming in your eyes.

"Take that back! Take it back RIGHT NOW!" You yell at him. He just shrugs.

"Get out!" You yell at him.

"GET OUT!" You scream at him crying. You see him stand up as you push him out of the door, slamming it behind him. You sink down to the floor against the door bawling.

Bring your brokenness and I'll bring mine
'Cause love can heal what hurt divides

Time skip

You ended up working around the house all day. Tears wouldn't stop falling from your eyes. It was Friday and Katherine normally stops by, so when she knocked on the door you tried to compose yourself as much as possible. You open the door to see Katherine smiling, but her smile immediately turns to a concerned look. She comes in and you tell her everything that happened. Katherine stays with you for most of the day.

"Alright y/n. I've really got to get going. Jack is expecting me." Katherine says. You nod as you both stand up, Katherine give you a hug as you lead her to the door. As you open the door, you see Race. Katherine gave him a stern look as she walked out of the door. Race walks in and shuts the door behind him.

"The one day you show up in time, I haven't made anything." You say walking away from Race.

"Y/n..." Race says sounding like he'd been crying. You turn back around to see tear stains in his eyes and on his cheeks.

"Y/n. I know I know, I've done so many bad things and you probably won't ever forgive me. But I just need to let you know how much I love you. And I promise you, I am not gonna stop fighting my addiction. I...I" Race says starting to cry. You start to cry as well. Race walks up to you, wrap his arms around you in a hug. Your weight begins to drop to the floor as you both end up sitting on the floor crying into each other's arms.

"I love you so much y/n. Please forgive me" Race says through tears.

"Race I love you so much. I just don't know if I'm ready to forgive you yet." You say looking into his eyes. Race nods putting his forehead against yours.

"I understand." He says.