Chapter 17 : The Perfect Alibi

<Your POV>

Me, Conan and Ran are waiting for Oji-san in front of the police station. He has gone to go meet Inspector Megure to be the witnesses and providing any evidence he got.

Ran : He said he was only providing evidence....

Ran said as she looks towards the police station front door. You and Conan stand a bit far from Ran that the both of you can freely chat without Ran hearing.

Ran is waiting patiently while you stand next to Conan who's balancing a soccer ball. You look at Ran and said something only Conan can hear.

Erena : It's not like he can help it.... He was shadowing this dead Negishi-guy for three days.... The police don't have any witnesses more useful than that....

Conan : Hehe.... I wonder what kind of case is this gonna be? Can't that old man hurry up and tell us! I can't wait!!❤️

I heard Conan said gleefully. I glance at him to see his face with a big excited grin on it. I turn to look at Ran who is looking at Conan confusedly, but shrugged it off.

Erena : You're really lucky Shin-chan, but not at the same time.

TIME SKIP

<Kogorou POV>

Kogorou : F-FIVE HUNDRED MILLION YEN?!

I exclaim in shock as I look at Inspector Megure-dono.

Megure : Yes.... Negishi Masaki-san had a life insurance of five hundred million yen....

Kogorou : Don't you find that strange?! Why would the recipient of such huge insurance sum, be no more than a friend like you, ABE YUTAKA-SAN?!! YOU'RE THE PERSON WHO HIRED ME TO FOLLOW HIM!! WHY WOULD YOU GET HIS INSURANCE MONEY?!

I exclaim angrily as I point to YUTAKA-SAN who stand on the other side of the long table in one of the investigation rooms with Megure besides me. Yutaka-san, however, only give me his 'I-am-innocent' smile infuriating me more.

Abe : Heh.... It was a game....

Kogorou : WHAT?!

Abe : We had known each other for 20 years since college.... One day, when we were having a drink together, he said 'We're 42 now.... Not spring chickens anymore.... You want to make a bet to see who can live longer?'. I told him that it sounds interesting. He then said to set it at five hundred million yen, so I accepted the challenge.

Megure : So you both took out five hundred million yen life insurance....

Abe : Of course, I didn't think the game would end after only 3 months....

Megure : So why did you send Mouri-kun to shadow him....?

Abe : Oh.... It was no major reason.... He said that he was being followed and that he is going to be killed soon.

Megure : KILLED?!

Abe : Yes.... At first, I thought he was joking, but his manner seemed to abnormal. I had him investigated for three days, to make sure he was safe.... Right, Mouri-san?

Kogorou : Grrr.... This damn jackass.

I gritted my teeth and curse him internally as I glare at him hard, but he seems unfazed of it.

Abe : Well, I have work, so I must leave you now, gentlemen.... I am the president of a small business, so I am usually rather busy. I would appreciate if you could find the person who killed him....

Megure : Sure....

He said walking to the door. Megure answer him with uncertainty in his voice. I just look at his retreating back and before he could walk out of the door, I stop him.