The power of words

July 10th, 16:30.
Unknown location, Hawaii Islands.

The day had been all kinds of stressful: a Secondary School teen had sneaked into All Might's jet without them even noticing, the mission to deliver Himiko Toga had resulted in discovering that the League of Villains' tentacles already reached the Japanese army, they had almost been killed by corrupted soldiers, miraculously escaped from the military ship, chased by military fighters and crash landed the damaged plane in an unnamed island that, at least according to the AI of the jet's map, geographically belonged to Hawaii.

None would have guessed it, but the Water Hose's son's unexpected presence had been more useful than expected: after they landed, Kota had used his Water Manipulation Quirk to wash away any trace the jet had left on the sand of the beach and extinguish the trees it had set on fire when they penetrated into the jungle. The cloaking mode of the jet, which luckily still worked, had done the rest until the enemy fighters had passed by.

At that moment, All Might was in the cabin trying to use the ultramodern communication system of the plane to report about everything that happened.

As for Mirio Togata, he was without a doubt one of the best heroes of the last decade, but he was never the most brilliant student when it came to technology, so all he could do was to assist his scientist friend as she kept doing what she could to repair the damaged engine of the jet.

"20mm spanner, please" Melissa asked from the inside.

"So... how does it look?" Mirio dared to ask, as he handed it to her.

"I've seen worse" she answered without stopping her work. "But obviously I wasn't in the middle of a deserted island."

"Right now I wish I was better with engines" Mirio was the hero on the top of his career in the group, but he felt weirdly out of place at that moment. "I think a volleyball ball with a face painted on it would be more helpful to you..."

When he finished the sentence he felt stupid. He was a hero known for making great puns at the same time he defeated villains and teaching children how sense of humor was important to contribute to the people's safety. But that was a girl whose father could be in danger or being forced to do something terrible not far from there, not to mention she had been dragged to the middle of nowhere after almost been killed. And it's not like he was forgetting about Eri and the others.

"You better keep your mouth shut, Lemillion" he internally said to himself. "Jokes may be out of place here..."

"Ohh, don't you dare mention that movie" Melissa jumped out of the reactor, with a messy blonde hair and a greasy blackened face. "How can a movie be so merciless to make you cry... over a volleyball ball?"

"Yep, Tom Hanks had a harder time in that movie than us..." Mirio agreed.

Both took notice of the absurdity of the comparison and allowed themselves to share a small laugh.

"Sorry, I was worried I would upset you" Mirio said apologetically. "Sir Nighteye taught me about the importance of humor in difficult situations, but I really should have been more sensitive."

"Don't be. Uncle All Might taught me that too" Melissa smiled and partially cleaned her face with a towel. "I would lie to you if I told you I wasn't worried about my father, but I wouldn't help at all if I were down. And I know you are also worried, specially about Eri."

"Luckily, thanks to you we know where they are."

"Well, if that's the case, it is thanks to you that I was able to find that out" Melissa sweepishly told him. "Now we know that the League of Villains is strong in the States and has eyes in its police too, so if you had actually delivered me that night, maybe by now I would be in their hands too. What happened the last hours wasn't supposed to happen, but I really owe you, Mirio, so please don't think for a second you are not helping here."