ROSE (3)

" There's a strange man in my bedroom "

- Jackie Tyler

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"She deserves compensation!"

The Doctor looked at me, expecting me to greet my mother, but I placed a finger to my lips. It wasn't fair on mum to hop in and out of her life like this, without so much of a goodbye, which is what usually happens.

"Oh, we're talking millions."

"I'm...I'm in my dressing gown." I inwardly groaned. Did she really want to talk sex while Rose was in the other room?

"Yes, you are." The Doctor responded absentmindedly. Ever the flirt...

"There's a strange man in my bedroom." She continued.

"Yes, there is."

"...Well, anything could happen."

I poked the Doctor in the back to tell him to hurry it up; he grabbed my hand. A tingle ran up it, as though I was getting a tattoo. A sort of cat scratch with spice. An electric shock.

I tugged my hand back.

"No." He shook his head and pulled me into the living room with him.

"Don't mind the mess. Do you want a coffee?" Rose began to tidy up pathetically. We all knew she didn't really want to, and after piling the magazines up, the enthusiasm fled and she put them back on the coffee table.

"Might as well, thanks, just milk." He replied.

"Rose, you're Jackie Tyler's daughter! It's meant to be tea you offer." I joked as Rose shook her head.

"Mind telling me why you're hiding from her, Lil?" I found myself being dragged into the kitchen. It still felt like home after all this time, surprisingly enough. From the worn white tea towel reading, 'world's best mum' that Rose and I had bought for her a few years back, thrown over a stack of clean plates, to twelve year old Lilly's shitty drawing on the fridge. My attention turned back to Rose.

"It's not fair on her for me to keep doing what I did last night. Now isn't the time for this conversation anyway."

"We should go to the police." Rose called out so that the Doctor could hear her. "I'm not blaming you, even if it is some sort of joke... It said on the news they found a body. He was nice. A nice bloke. Anyway, if we are going to go to the police, I wanna know what I'm saying. I want you to explain everything."

"No." I said sternly. "I'm higher than the police. They'd be useless, plodding around and poking their nose in. We don't need it."

"Seriously? Higher than police?"