Born Again

“ I've got sideburns! ”

- The Doctor

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

"Time for what?" Rose looked between us groggily

"Rose and Lilly Tyler." The Doctor let out a breathy laugh. "I was gonna take you to so many places. Barcelona, not the city Barcelona, the planet. You'd love it. Fantastic place, they've got dogs with no noses." My sister and I giggled while the Time Lord chuckled. "Imagine how many times a day you end up telling that joke - and it's still funny!"

"Then, why can't we go?" My sister questioned, her brows knitting together in confusion.

"Maybe you will. And maybe I will. But not like this." He went back to looking at the monitor with a vague smile on his face.

"You're not making sense!" She protested.

"I might never make sense again! I might have two heads. Or no head!" The Doctor and I laughed, but Rose didn't. I opened my mouth, however the Time Lord beat me to it. "And don't say that's an improvement, Lilly. But it's a bit dodgy, this process. You never know what you're gonna end up with." Suddenly, he stumbled backwards, clutching his middle as if he'd been punched.

I held my sister back as she yelled and tried to run to him. "Doctor!"

"Lilly, keep her back."

"Guys, tell me what's goin' on."

"I absorbed all the energy of the time vortex, and no one's meant to do that." The Doctor was trying to keep his light tone, despite being in agony. His eyes screwed shut. "Every cell in my body's dying."

"Can't you do something?" Rose's eyes widened in horror.

"Yeah, I'm doing it now. Time Lords have this little trick, it's...sort of a way of cheating death. Except...it means I'm gonna change. And I'm not gonna see you again. Not like this. Not with this daft old face." The Time Lord was trying his hardest not to scare her. "And before I go..."

"Don't say that!" My sister cut him off.

"Rose." I shook my head.

"Before I go, I just wanna tell you, you are fantastic. And you too, Lil. Please explain to her. I can't hold it off for very long. But you should know that you were absolutely fantastic as well. And d'you know what?" He grinned. "So was I."

Not a moment later, the the Doctor tilted his head back, arms outstretched, as golden regeneration energy exploded from under his skin. I shielded Rose's face from the the light by embracing her. But I couldn't look away. I stared, transfixed as the Time Lord's features changed dramatically. He looked slightly surprised for a second before smiling us.