Part 13

Regan moved closer. At least the conversation was polite. So best to keep things peaceful. "Look, I get it. You want to keep her safe. But don't smother her with caution. You are a good brother. Your thoughtfulness is recognised by her, but your caution, your diligence, your vigilance is misplaced." She wondered if she had said too much. But this was important. His diligence towards security was stalling Loretta's careers and dreams.

"Look, if you want to check on her dates, ask her, meet her date. You could ask her to see her potential dates here before they take her on a date. You can do that! She would do that knowing that you only want to meet her prospective boyfriend." She smiled with a twinkle in her eyes. "In any case, I am sure, if they met you, with your behaviour and attitude, they would be very, very careful with your sister!

Gray put the hammer down, and leaned on the fence post "Obviously you are a counsellor!"

Regan rolled her eyes, the twinkle in her eyes vanished and she huffed. "Just let her find her way!"

He glowered. And demanded with arrogance, "What do you know about ..."

Regan interrupted his statement, "Give her a break. Please, let her find her own way." She was sure that Loretta would make her own way without any trouble. Regan huffed again, "You know, you sister is very organised..."

"Yes, but that doesn't mean..."

"She is very methodical, and with a brother and grandfather standing guard, it is unlikely that anyone would mess her around." Regan jammed her hands on her hips and held her position despite the fact his eyes were sparking at her. Regan swallowed then said more quietly, "And you are mistaking her wish."

"What?" He shook his head. "What are you talking about?"

"She just wants to work. She is not telling you that she is going a date!"

He glared.

Regan held her position. "This is about work. She doesn't like working on the farm. She just wants to find her own way. Doing something that she really likes. Like you."

"Like me?"

"You love working on the farm. Anyone can see that." Regan said gently.

"You can't..."

"Look at your sister, really look. Talk to her. You love her. She loves you. Ask about her wishes, her career, her dreams. And you will confirm that," Regan sighed and continued softly "she doesn't like working here."

Their eyes met.

She said calmly, "Your sister is a good kid. She just wants a chance. Just a chance." I just wished that someone stood up for me when I was young, the thought raced through her mind. Regan said albeit inaudibly "You can do that."

Gray looked over at Regan. He wondered, not for the first time how she managed to keep standing up to him when he had repeatedly told her in no uncertain terms that he found her to fall short on so many levels. Now most women would have avoided him like the plague. She hadn't even bothered to defend herself. Nothing. No tears. No tantrums. No corrections. She had just let it wash over her and continued as if he'd never spoken. As if he had not trashed her character.

"It's ok for you to say that." He glanced at her, disdain and derision in his eyes and in his tone. It was easy for her to stand there and lecture him. She hadn't lost almost everything, she wasn't living off charity. She didn't have to wonder where her life was going? Or how she was going to support a family.

"True." Regan agreed softly.

He narrowed his eyes. "I bet you told her to do this."

"What?"