Part 21

Regan realised she was cornered. So she turned around.

Gray glowered at her when he spoke. "I will not tolerate your rudeness to my guest." She was behaving like a spoilt brat. He was not going to put up with it. A few moments ago, he realised his old self was still around, rattling in the background. He could do charm. He could flirt. The last half hour showed him he was making progress with his personal social life. A social life that had been shelved after that unexpected  vicious episode in his life which robbed him of his esteem. The easy-going chap was stored and enclosed with grumpiness. Mulish and obstinate.

Gray knew his stubborn attitude had helped him to recover from his injuries, but it, like opium was addictive. He knew he relied on that tenacious, boorish attitude, even now, to back his actions. Returning to the charming, kind, thoughtful, gentleman was a risk: he had trusted people, and his trust was rewarded with injuries. Until today, he had not accepted he could take a risk. He had not been out, on a date, since that episode. And today Caro provided a turning point. She flirted with him, from the moment she stepped out of her car. And his response was automatic. His old self, eluded his bounds that shackled his emotions. And he realised there was no risk in chatting up a beautiful woman. Just plain fun. The fact that Caro appreciated his company, that she really enjoyed his company, to the extent that she was happy when he suggested he could carry her back to the house to avoid ruining her shoes before the next rainstorm.

In the back of his mind, he was not sure if his happiness this afternoon was due to their flirting or the fact that he had found his old temperament. He thought his old nature, his appeal, was long gone, but today, he realised his personality and temperament was intact.

"Too bad." Regan muttered quietly. He appeared to ignore her words. But from the way his eyes had narrowed she knew he had heard her. She did not care! Today could be written-off. It would not matter what she said now, because either way, her world was in a mess. A mess she had constructed when she realised her dreams had no foundations.

Gray kept his tone low, because he knew his fury was barely held in check. "I manage this farm." He rubbed his cheek and jaw and took a moment to stem his vitriolic response. A second later he said, "And I will not tolerate your rudeness to my guest, my family and me." He came closer. She remained in position. "I repeat, I manage this farm for you." He reminded her. Gray was beyond incensed.

To avoid looking at his eyes, "So?" Regan retorted and turned away, saddened by the emotion she saw in his eyes. In any case, surly was back and with a vengeance. Guess charm was only available for the blonde. And Regan also acknowledged she was wrong. He was right. She was rude to his guest, and him. Being rude is not normal for her. She can't blame her awful day, because, as a doctor she had experience dealing with death. She knew her rudeness was due to jealousy. Watching him flirt, which seemed natural to him, she knew she was really jealous. This unpleasant situation was her fault. She should have walked away when Gray and Caro appeared at the front door. She should have said, hi, and walk away. She could have used the excuse that she was soaked to the skin. She could have made a brief reply about not wanting to be a gooseberry and walk away. Instead, she had stayed and watched him and Caro flirting. Instead she made a pithy reply. And even then, it was about a car parked. Time to apologise, her brain said. But she could not bring herself to make that apology!

Gray wanted to shake her. She stood still, her back to him. He stalked closer. "We are entitled to offer hospitality to our friends."

"Fine." She muttered. Gray took a breath and squared his shoulder, to allow her mutter to pass.

He grumbled, "Then do that!"

"Fine!" She repeated. "Remember she is still here! Enjoying my hospitality!" That was enough, to unleash Gray from the chains that bound his fury. He took her shoulder and spun her around so that she faced him, and could see that he was far from pleased with her