Part 79

Gray kept his eyes trained on Regan while he came forward, "She, Regan, is definitely difficult! Actually, really stubborn." He was pleased to see that Regan looked better. Twenty-four hours ago, he had picked her up from the ground, and her body was racked with spasms. Her temperature worried him. He said frankly as he eyes took stock of Regan. "You look better." He also noted that she had changed her clothes. She was wearing a different t-shirt. When he placed her on her bed, he left her in her muddy-stained clothes, but he did remove her boots.

Her pulse started racing despite the fact she was just sitting. Curtly, she said, "Thank you." She was pleased to see him and hoped he would see that she was better. She was pleased with the fact she had a shower and changed her clothes. Surely he would note that. That would tell him, she was better, because yesterday she could barely walk.

He chided with a teasing glint. "Still a touch pale." Gray came closer, narrowed his eyes as he noted that her duvet had a different cover. He hoped she did not change the sheets herself.

"Thank you." Regan rolled her eyes. The collar of her t shirt felt too tight for starters, her heartbeat was escalating and her mouth was dry. She reached for the water in the glass on her bedside cabinet. She took a sip. No point wishing for the moon, she reminded her heart.

Lucy snorted at Regan's antics. But Lucy also watched Gray's body language. From her point, he looked like he was really concerned about Regan's health. And he looked like he was not happy about something. Lucy also noted that the Gray from the last year, developed into this man: power and success oozing out of every pore. Or perhaps his new Gray was always there, just well camouflaged.

Lucy nearly chuckled when she saw Gray's action. Without asking he placed the back of his hand against her forehead.

Regan reared back, but with the wall behind her head she could not move that far.

"No temperature. Great." He was tempted to shake his head in disbelief. Amazing what rest, sleep and medication does for your health.

Briskly she said, "Thank you Doctor! Didn't know you were a doctor."

His lips twitched and he relaxed slightly. She was definitely better. Gray continued with his silent but obvious examination of Regan.

The interaction between Gray and Regan was interesting. Lucy chuckled and was sure that Sam was right. There was something going on here. Some sort of chemistry between Gray and Regan. In normal circumstances, if someone did something for Regan, she would be civil, courteous, and amicable. But Regan was practically growling at Gray. And Gray was being gracious and was accommodating Regan's snide remarks.

"For a few minutes yesterday, I was not sure if you were a doctor at all!" Gray smiled and folded his arms as he turned his head, so that he faced Lucy, "Apparently she had a stomach ache" Gray told Lucy as if he was just having a normal conversation about the weather.

"It was a stomach ache!" Regan grumbled. Her palms were now clammy and she was nervous.

"Yeah. I guess Dr McMahon knows more than you." Gray continued and remained beside the bed. "So, how many contractions in the last hour?" He asked as if he was entitled to this information. Personal information.

"None of your business." Regan said bluntly. Lucy nearly laughed. Yup, she thought, and looked over at Sam. She quirked a brow and surreptitiously gave him a thumb signal. Sam beamed.

"Granddad said you came here around five?" He asked Lucy. Lucy turned around to face him and nodded. "So half an hour." He quirked an eyebrow, "Noticed any spasms?" Lucy shook her head. "Great." He looked around and pinned Lucy to the spot, "Who changed the sheets?"

"I did." Lucy folded her arms. "Is there a problem here?"

"Not sure." Gray looked back at Regan, "And where was Regan when you did that, Lucy?" There was no chair in this bedroom. So where was Regan when Lucy changed the sheets and the duvet cover.

"In the shower."

"The shower?" Gray narrowed his eyes. "You took her to the shower? In her condition? What is the matter with you two? I told you to stay in bed. McMahon told you to stay in bed. He signed you off for a week, because you needed to stay in bed!"

This is the problem when someone arrogant man recovered his confidence. This man was different to the man who lived here. There was no questions about his authority, his clout, his plans.

"Yes, Tony signed me off for a week, but I bet he was not expecting me to remain unwashed! And smelly! I had a shower. And it any case, it is my home. I can shower when I want!" Regan snapped before Lucy replied.

Lucy jabbed Gray's shoulder, "I did not take her to the shower! I just helped her. You are control freak!" Lucy said bluntly and Sam grinned. It was good to see his grandson's old character and the fact that two woman were happy to challenge him.

"Yes, he is." Regan nodded, she folded her arms beneath the duvet, "Contrary to this fount of information, despot, Tony did not say anything about staying in bed for the whole seven days. That is ridiculous."

Gray looked at the ceiling, "Now I can see why you two are best friends. Obstinate. Wilful. And bloody stupid. What if Regan had a fall in the shower? Was Lucy in the wet room with you, Regan, propping you up under the shower spray?"

"No, idiot!" Lucy again jabbed his shoulder, "I told you, I changed the sheets while she took a shower."

"So you left her in the shower. Someone who could barely stand? Want another relapse? Yesterday I had to pick her up from the floor because she could barely move." He threw his hands in the air. "What is the matter with you two? You need a minder, Regan! A full-time minder!"

"Gray," Sam said gently seeing that Gray was concerned about Regan but was digging a hole with his tone, "Regan looks better. Actually, is better, given she is arguing with you!"

She could not stop staring at Gray, so her response was somewhat distracted, "I would not have a shower, if I didn't think I was better. The antibiotics are working." Regan said quietly.

"Sorry." Gray said, "I am just worried. No need for unnecessary risks. Just stay in bed."

"I already told her that." Lucy said hoping to dispel the spat. And she was also certain that Gray was being tetchy because he cared about Regan. So she cut him some slack, "And thanks for collecting her prescription yesterday."

"Lore collected it." Gray reached for the bottle. "Nearly time for the antibiotics."

"I know when to take them!" Regan sighed.

"Good. So you can take them now." He shook out two pills and reached for the glass.

She had to take them twice during a day and she took the two pills at six that morning.

"If I remember correctly, you are here for the cows." She said with sarcasm.

"Just take the bloody pills." He gave her the pills and held out the glass.

She took the glass. "I can do that. The cows can't self milking!"

"You know, I did not realised how stubborn you are!" Gray rolled his eyes.

"Ok, fine. Anything else?"

"Yes." And he had the gall to sit on her bed.

She stated with a slightly regal tilt of the head, "Do you mind?"

"I sat here yesterday, remember." Gray beamed, captivated by her attempt to put him in his place. And the fact it reminded him, that she was only blunt with people she trusted. His eyes were back at dancing stage. She was being blunt. With him. That was progress.

Lucy said softly while Regan swallowed the pills. "Excuse me," Lucy moved away from the bed. "er, Sam, did you say there was, er, er, food to warm up? Could you show me?"

Sam nodded. The two left the room. Smiling at each other. Inside the bedroom the other two were at stand-off.