Part 20

Regan watched the interaction between Caro and Gray and Regan's scream inched closer to voicing it. She pinched her lips and stifled her scream. She wanted to rub her temple to ward off the headache that was bubbling away now. A day that was awful was topped by watching Gray and Caro flirting.

"Just a little bit wet!" The young woman said with a merry little giggle and her eyes smiled at Gray. "But it was worth it." She looked up coyly and again smiled up at Gray who was a good foot taller than her.

"Yes. I agree." Gray said. Fool, fool, fool, the word rattled around Regan's brain.

Caro tipped her head to the side and continued to flirt with Gray, "Thanks for showing me around, Gray. This is a fabulous place. You have done an amazing job here. Obviously it takes a lot of your time. So thank you for taking the time to show me around."

"My pleasure. Can always find time for you!" Gray smiled. Regan nearly exploded. "Sorry we had to cut short our tour, Caro. Just thought it was best that we made that dash to avoid another downpour."

"Dash? You carried me! To avoid me running through the mud! Which is really gallant of you! Thank you." Caro giggled. "I will have to think of a way to thank you."

Mud? Gray carried Caro? That explains why Caro was not drenched like her and why her shoes were pristine despite the weather outside. And the giggly-blonde is looking for a way to thank him. Regan's headache headed toward a migraine.

"Look forward to that." Gray said quietly.

"We were really lucky." Caro said. And Regan worked hard not to shout at them. "Lucky we missed the next squall." Caro nodded, looked at the window, where huge raindrops hit the pane. "Obviously God has plans for us, we avoided being drenched." Caro said, returned her gaze to Gray and ran her hands over her hips. "You kept me intact and dry!" Gray tracked her hands.

"My pleasure!" Regan heard Gray flirt and wondered if being branded with red-hot pokers felt any worse than she did at that moment. "Lots more to see, next time. You must admit the inside of our barn is impressive!"

Regan nearly growled. Our barn? Our? She was about to say something when the young blonde spoke.

"Great. Can't wait."

His eyes twinkled as he said with relish, "Obviously my invitation is open ended, given the awful weather at the moment. More outside to see too! But perhaps we can have more time inside too."

The woman laughed. "I will hold you to that promise." Her smile grew. "Your farm is wonderful. And the barn tour was brilliant," She giggled, "and the guide was perfect!" She gestured toward the outside but kept her eyes on him. She smiled. A secret smile that said more than the words.

"Yes. Perfect." Gray smiled and his eyes flicked to her lips and then back to her eyes. Regan watching this interplay was ready to tear the blonde woman apart! Have they forgotten they have an audience: me and his sister. Regan muttered beneath her breath. What is the matter with the world today? The world has gone crazy: a normal grumpy man is demonstrating charm, a woman in stilettos is carried, avoids mud and the rain and emerged like a catwalk model.

"I'm impressed." Caro told Gray as she looked up at him through her lashes. "Actually, very impressed!" She said meaningfully. He acknowledged her comment with his eyes, well aware that they were being watched.

The whole thing irritated Regan. Beyond irritation. Closer to fury. The man standing in front of her had never shown her this side of his nature. Now charming and flirting! He seemed to have lost that truculent, grumpy demeanour and had developed magnetism and charisma. Why did she warrant surliness and this woman warrant friendship? Stupid question she told herself and then spoke without thinking.