Part 80

She should be able to cope on a one to one with him. But her heart was hammering and her head and her heart were at odds. Forget this infuriatingly attractive, outright tempting man, and remember he was the wrong-for-her, man. Heart plummeted. Obviously he still had the ability to unsettle her heart. She was still attracted to him, which as far as she was concerned was ridiculous. She was grown woman, she could handle things, like her feelings.

He kept his position on her bed, planted a hand on the duvet on the other side of her legs, in essence trapping her legs. He reminded her again, "I sat here when I placed you on this bed yesterday."

Regan tried to keep the disdain out her voice, "That was yesterday." Her lips flattened as she chided. "So get off my bed!" She pouted. "I feel better now."

Gray nearly burst out laughing at the formality in her voice and her pout. He smiled. "Good to hear." He watched her eyes, and his eyes narrowed for a second, "Did you have lunch? You are sitting up, which is that good? Right?" Dealing with a stubborn woman was a mixture of pride and frustration. He folded his arms and looked straight at Regan. "So, no cramps? No dizziness?" He rattled off his questions.

This man was incisive and utterly confident, Regan thought silently. Definitely the 'old' Gray, that Sam and Loretta talked about when they lived here with her, was back. Self-possessed. Self-assured. Assertive. If she'd thought him smiling at her was powerful and compelling but it was nothing compared with his skill and his attitudes with this situation. The man beside her was too sure of himself. Well, she thought, it was best that he recognised that she was sure of herself and not the timid, diffident, reticent woman that he thought he knew.

She tipped her head the barest inch, which made her chin come up, and he could see she was not happy with his questions. Came the quick retort. "None of your business."

He banked his smile, looked straight at her, and with more than a hint of demand, he said, "Simple questions."

Regan poked her tongue into her cheek, and banked her retort. He waited for her to look into his eyes. Without batting an eyelid at the directness of his statement, Gray said, "So, let's start with the lunch question."

She knew better than to try to talk her way out of that, so she conceded, "Yes, I ate. Ok." She looked up at him and smirked.

"No cramp?"

She tipped her chin in silent defiance. "Fewer." Her replied, which earned her a warning glance from Gray.

"Fewer." She was really exasperating, he thought. And tacked on quietly beneath his breath. "Mule-headed!"

Regan's head tipped to one side and there was insolence in her eyes because she heard his mumble. She snapped, "Yes. Definitely muleheaded. Thank you for the compliment."

"Dizziness?" Came the cool question. His eyes never left hers.

"No." She was about to learn that she wasn't the only one who could be stubborn.

"Sitting up is ok?"

"Yes." She folded her arms and glared at the audacious man.

"There you go!" Gray tipped his head to one side and said, "Not that hard. Not exactly theinquisition" He smiled gently.

Regan snorted in disdain.

He remained perched on her bed and he said firmly, "In any case, I want a chat with you."

She mumbled without any grace, "We had a chat!" Then she narrowed her eyes, "Why are you not at the shed?"

"That is why I am here." He said, "I told you, I want a chat with you."