Part 39

Seeing her bruised face at the restaurant was a shock. A real shock. And the fact that it had instantly caused him to worry about her, the same way he worried about his immediate family, made him strangely uncomfortable. Restless. Actually more that than, he thought as he drove back to the farm. Fearful. Apprehensive. Frightened and troubled. What happened to her?

"Gray, what's the matter?" Sam asked gently again as he came and stood in front of his grandson, reached for his arms, and held onto his shoulder, shook him and made direct eye contact. "What happened?"

"I don't know." Gray took a breath and sighed.

Sam frowned and removed his hands from Gray's shoulder. "So why are you yelling her name?" He asked softly.

Again Gray took a breath, and ran his fingers through his hair. "She came to the restaurant. She collected a take away." Gray muttered, as if keeping information humdrum, would help him deal his recollection of the situation. Starting with the simple facts. He saw her at the restaurant. He had not imagined her black eye. Someone had hurt her. He left his head between his hands, his fingers laced behind his head and took another breath.

"Ok." Sam said quietly. "She bought a take away." Was she avoiding them, or Gray in particular? Perhaps she saw Gray and Caro and left with a takeaway? Or perhaps she did something at the restaurant? Must be a serious 'something' given Gray's reaction at the moment. But Gray's reaction was unexpected: he wasn't angry with Regan, he looked concerned about Regan. That difference was rare and unfamiliar. So Sam repeated, and watched Gray's face for his reactions, "Ok, Regan collected a take away. She did not stay at the restaurant, just collected her takeaway, right?"

Loretta frowned and said quietly, "I didn't hear her come in." Loretta said her eyes pensive with concern.

Sam corrected his granddaughter, "She came in." Sam continued to watch Gray's reaction. Yes, he was definitely concerned about Regan andnot annoyed.

"Really? I didn't hear her." Loretta frowned.

"Yes, she came in but she went out again before we could see her." Sam announced as he kept his eyes on his agitated grandson. The way Gray was behaving suggested that Regan was in serious trouble, and the fact she had come and gone made Sam question what sort of trouble. Sam asked quietly, "Did you talk to her at the restaurant?"

"No."

"Ok." Sam kept his tone, "Did you want her to stay at the restaurant? Did you want to invite her, to join you at your table?" Unlikely, thought Samas he inched towards the truth. "Did you want to talk her about something in particular, is that it?"

"No." He rubbed his palm against his forehead.

"Gray, what is going on?" Sam asked quietly, and kept his apprehension to himself.

"I don't know Granddad!" Gray grunted and looked at the ceiling. He closed his eyes, took a breath, and before his grandfather would ask the same question, he whispered,"I don't know Granddad." He looked over at Sam. He wiped his face with his palm and said softly, "She came to the restaurant. I did not see her until she left the restaurant. She had a take away in her hands."

Sam nodded toacknowledge Gray's statements. "Ok. So she bought a take away. And obviouslyshe came home. That is normal for some! They prefer to eat at home." Sam said.

Gray shook his head, "She came home, but she is not eating at home, Granddad! Clearly, she left again, but without her car. Why?  And to where?" Gray rubbed the back of his neck.

"Probably gone for a walk." Sam stated with confidence. He had figured out that Regan had a pattern: When she was worried or concerned about something she went for a walk.