Part 35

The next morning, as Regan stepped out of the front door, Caro's BMW came to a screeching halt, in the driveway. Totally oblivious, blocking Regan's car in, Caro threw the door open and with a wave at Gray, she stepped out of her car.

"Would I was in the neighbourhood sound too obvious?" She called to him as she sauntered toward him. She'd taken a bit more time with her appearance. She'd enjoyed last night, and she hoped they would make it a regular thing. Dinner last night was lovely, the conversation flowed albeit with assistance from Loretta and Sam. Perhaps Gray is the strong and silent type! At dinner he was very quiet, but at least he smiled at the relevant times and laughed at her jokes.

He smiled at her and walked toward her. "Beautiful, enchanting women are welcome anytime!" He leaned in and brushed her cheek with his lips.

Caro had hoped for a kiss on the lips. But she could wait.

Regan felt her heart contract. She was torn between two warring emotions. She was pleased to see the usually dour Gray actually smiling and look happy. She was not so pleased to see who had brought that smile forward. And she was sure that when they see her watching them, and if she asks them to move Caro's car, he'd return to being dour.

So she waited, hoping the beautiful and charming Caro would also have the courtesy to move her car or at least make an attempt to park it, rather than abandon it in the driveway as if the driveway was her own private car park.

"I just wanted to say thank you for a lovely evening." Caro beamed at him. She hadn't really needed an excuse to drive over, but having one, helped.

"It was a pleasure." Gray replied, though he knew from his sleepless night, that his thoughts had not been with Caro, but instead he had replayed his conversation with Regan, over and over. It had been a very fitful night. He'd spent a great deal of it trying to work out how they, well, him in particular, could make it up to Regan. What he'd done last night was, as his grandfather said, was unkind and mean. Regan, for some reason, helped him to regain his confidence. The old Gray was back, all because of Regan's intervention.

Regan watched the couple and felt guilty for inadvertently spying. So she began to stealthily move backwards toward the door, hoping to avoid them seeing her. She also wanted to buy herself some time to compose herself. It was not the done thing for the local doctor to scratch a visitor's eyes out! So she inched backwards towards the door.

"I think you went to a lot of trouble for me. Thank you." Caro tossed her hair behind her shoulder and threw him a winning smile.

"No trouble, and we were really pleased you could make it."

"Dinner was fabulous!" Caro smiled, "And the company was delightful."

Regan did not hear what Gray said, as she stepped into the hallway and pulled the door shut quietly and considered her options.

She needed her car. She was on duty in half an hour. But she knew if she went out and asked Caro to move her car, or even if she asked Caro diplomatically to move her car, both Gray and Caro would take offence. He'd probably assume she was doing it because she hadn't been invited to dinner last night. While Caro would rightly assume she was doing it because she was jealous.

"What are you doing?" Sam asked her and made her jump. He'd been watching her for the last minute, and he wasn't sure what to make of her behaviour. She was hovering by the door, just staring at the door.

"Oh!" Regan squeaked and put a hand to her chest as if that would stop her heart palpitations. She turned around.

Sam grinned. "Sorry. Didn't mean to creep up on you."