Part 17

Over the next two weeks Gray maintained a wary truce, avoiding her as much as possible, and ensuring communication was nothing more than functional. He was avoiding her because he felt guilty about what he'd asked her do, and because he still couldn't forget one simple kiss.

Unknown to Gray, Regan was also avoiding him because she had yet to find some extra help and because she too had been unable to forget that kiss.

The lack of contact was helped by the fact that Regan was putting in longer hours and was usually only back on the farm to change clothes or sleep. She needed the money. The farm seemed to swallowing up every cent she earned. She knew that sometime soon she would have to confess to Gray, and explain that help was not on the cards as she simply couldn't stretch to employing another person, even if they were on minimum wage, like him. She also hoped that Gray would not leave when he realised he was paid the minimum wage. And definitely not the wage for a farm manager.

Before she took on Gray and his family, Regan had thought about engaging a share-milker. She would provide the farm, the land, the buildings, and the share-milker would provide the dairy cows and equipment and they would share the profits. But that idea was scuppered when she took on Gray and his family because she knew Gray, Sam and Loretta did not have the money to buy cattle or equipment. Not that she had the money either!

So between Gray's and Regan's deliberate avoidance strategies, they had managed to dodge each other.

But two weeks after she had promised him some help he came looking for her. He could not continue to shoulder the work. She had promised to find someone to help him, but she had not. So he went looking for her.

Regan was pegging out her washing. It was a mixture of necessity and time to unwind. Necessary work, but didn't need her brain. She was working on automatic pilot.

"Oh, hi there." She smiled at him hoping that he hadn't come to ask about the promised help. "Came to give me a hand?" She asked with a teasing smile in her eyes hoping to avoid any discussion about helpers.

And true to form he didn't bat an eyelid nor did his lips curve in a smile of response.

"You've been avoiding me." He accused and narrowed his eyes. It had taken a few days but he'd figured out that while he had intended to maintain a wary truce, she was actually avoiding him. He did not see her at breakfast, lunch or dinner. In fact he was not sure if she even returned to home. Sam said he was probably busy with her work.

She kept her smile. "No, that is true." Her mind laughed at her lies.

Sarcasm laced his tone and the one word when he said, "Really?"

She shrugged and kept the smile in place.

Gray glared. There were times in his life when he wished he had more power and clout. This woman pretends to be a farmer and does nothing on the farm, but she has the purse strings and so far, has refused to provide him with access.   "I assume that means you want me to run this place without any input from you." So much for her offer to help, to find someone to help him. She'd done neither. Instead she'd left him to do the work, his and the jobs Lore's departure had added to his workload.

Ok, Regan thought, it was going to be one of those days. He was obviously in a mood. She pegged a pillowcase to the line, tugged at its lacy corners to buy her some time and then as she reached for another beautiful lace pillowcase, she said, "Is something the matter?" She avoided looking at him. She knew something was the matter, and even more sure it had to do with finances and the fact she had yet to employ someone to help him. Perhaps she should just scream and cry. He would run away if she did.