Part 92

It took eight weeks, sorting out the legal, administration and logistics, before their agreement was signed. He did not have to give notice to his current employer, because he remained as the manager at that farm. Four weeks after the official partnership started, they engaged another worker, to manage the day to day running of the beef herd, Lore moved in with her boyfriend and Gray and his grandfather moved back to Regan's farm. It meant he could spend his free time at Regan's farm, and remained as the manager at the other farm.

So three months after that conversation with their legal representatives and signing the documents about a limited company, their company, Regan walked straight into Gray as she entered the shed. Overbalanced he staggered back, Regan grabbed hold in an attempt to stay upright, and ended up falling against him. His arms wrapped automatically around her, steadying her legs, if not her heart. Idiot she murmured to herself. Her eyes mirrored her heart.

Gray bit the inside of his lower lip as he tried to keep his emotions under control.

"Sorry. I am such an idiot." She mumbled and tipped her head to look up at him. He hadn't released her. "Sorry." She muttered again as she planted her hands on his chest and pushed gently in an attempt to break contact. She didn't dare look up. Idiot she murmured to herself. She resurfaced from her thoughts about her failed plan. She huffed. In her heart she could not stop thinking about him, but her brain had other plans, like avoiding him. Coming here, was a bad mistake. Colour seeped her throat. This spur-of-the-moment-plan was a mistake. Her brain reminded, it was best to just find ways to avoid anything that involved any  time together, alone. It was only today, that her brain recognised her heart and the fact that her feelings were entrenched and that love was not logical. Her brain's questions didn't stop her feelings. She blew out a breath.

He rubbed a palm over his mouth, "You ok?" He pinned her with a puzzling  stare as he saw the flush in her cheeks.

She nodded somewhat cagily. She wasn't sure herself. 

"Right." He stated, but kept his arms around her. It felt right, to just hold her. He knew that he wanted to do this. Wanted to have her in his arms. He just wasn't sure how she'd feel about being there. In the four weeks he and his grandfather had been back, she had kept her distance, appearing at dinner times, and talking to all when they were together, but she was also very strategic in ensuring that she was rarely left alone with him. That needed to change, he was just not sure what pace of change he was willing to go for. He didn't want to spook her, but neither did he want them to be in their dotage when she finally decided to let him into her heart.

Regan extricated herself from the embrace. Idiot, she called herself. "Excuse me," Knowing that her next statement was going to give him the wrong answer. "I just wanted to collect my jacket, I left it in the store room yesterday." Not true. She knew he was here. But her heart just need a reason to see him, while her brain warned her to stay away.

Gray paused for the longest second and just stared at her. It made her squirmed. She licked her lower lip and bit her lips while he watched her.

"I think Bob took it back to the house."

"Oh." She rolled her eyes and she wished she had thought about that. "Thanks." She took a breath, then exhaled, her bottom lip thrust forward as she blew out a long breath.

"Everything ok?"

She crossed her fingers behind her back, and thought about ignoring that question, instead she said, "Yes, of course." She frowned. "Why?" Her stubbornness kicked in.

Seconds elapsed. They both just stared at each other. He eventually said, "Just wondered what you thought about our company." A grin split Gray's face. " Tomorrow would mark our first month anniversary."