Part 24

Sam rubbed his forehead with the heel of his palm and huffed again. "Our situation? We were practically destitute! She gave us a roof as part payment for your salary. And yes, you, Lore and I work here. We are lucky..."

Gray interrupted, "Lucky? Who is lucky? She or us? She does not pay you. She encouraged Lore to leave the farm..."

"Gray!" Sam sighed loudly.

"What, Grandad? Are you saying that she didn't encourage Lore..."

"She didn't!" Sam replied bluntly and added, "Lore didn't want to work here. You know that. Her dream is to work in fashion."

"Fine." Gray conceded.

"Regan, kindly, took the three of us, on. She shared her home with us. We do not pay rent. We don't even pay towards the groceries. We don't give her money for utilities. She gave Lore money to decorate our rooms to suit our taste. What exactly have we contributed?"

"Heaps!" Gray grumbled. "Do you remember the state of the farm when we arrived? Of course we can't pay our share at the moment, because she doesn't pay us! Doesn't even pay you. She probably encouraged Lore to get a job to allay her conscience. "

"Gray! Allay her conscience?" Sam pinched the bridge of his nose.

"She had three working on her farm! She only pays for one! Not you, not Lore!"

"I am pretty sure she was only expecting one worker when she took us in. Just you!" Sam corrected.

"Maybe. But three were working. She has taken advantage of you and..."

"She has not taken advantage of me!" Sam blustered. "For your information, actually working here, restored my dignity. The small jobs I did here, on the farm were appreciated by you and her! It renewed my dignity. Every night, I go to bed, with utter satisfaction. I am really happy. So where exactly has she taken advantage of me?" Sam said on a sigh as he lowered his tone. "I do one or two small jobs on the farm every day and it gives me self-respect. Even as an old codger I can do things. You, her, recognised that." He sighed. "The fact, that I can pull my weight, that I am not a burden,..."

Gray interrupted, "Granddad! You are not a burden."

"Maybe. In any case, I have peace of mind. And I am happy. You know, most people would not employ me, because I am past my use-by- date. But she trusts me. I don't have to check with her, I can choose what I want to do. She trusts me to get on with it. You trust me. Her farm is precious to her and she allows...."

Gray snorted. "Farm? No stock. No crops! Derelict buildings. Precious? Then why did she leave it to rot?"

"She didn't!" Sam said, and Gray looked towards the sky. "Gray, you and I don't know the history here. Why the farm was so derelict, so run-down? All I know, is that whatever I do, is fine. It doesn't have to be perfect. With the small jobs, that most would take minutes to finish, I can take my time. Practically a hobby! And I was not expecting a wage. And my dignity has no price. You know, my self-esteem has grown. That is down to her kindness."

Gray said quietly. "Fine, I get this, that she helped with your self-worth, that she has helped Lore to pursue her dreams, that she provides a roof and she feeds us, but until recently, we as a family only had one salary." One salary that is spread between three, to get personal stuff, buy clothes to replace old and tatty clothes. Gray reminded, "She only pays me! If she was expecting one employee, she should not take advantage when she noticed that three were working. That makes a farce of any possible Philanthropic-genes in her make-up." He shook his head, and said with more emphasis, "In my opinion, she is a crafty genius!"