Part 67

The police were still talking to Regan and David when Gray and Caro passed, on the other side of the road. And when they reached the café, he held the door open for Caro, and he looked back at the low sand wall. The police was still talking to David and Regan, while most of the crowd had left. What was left of his good mood when he picked up Caro, vanished. He was fed up. He was tempted to go back and have a talk to David!

Unaware of their audience, David left his arm on Regan's shoulder and together they made a statement for the police.

Ten minutes later, the police left them sitting on the wall. There were a few people still watching the fire brigand from a distance, but the fire was out and no other explosions, so nothing else resulting in entertainment. The brigand was securing the surf club building.

"You ok?" David asked Regan again. He knew her, barely, but what he had learned recently about her, given the recent event, he knew she was brave and determined.

Utter relief wash through her system as adrenalin vanished. Regan nodded then smiled, "I should be asking you!"

"I am fine."

She put her imaginary-doctor-hat on, and looked at him. "Ok, good, but can I check?"

He snorted and chuckled. "You know, I think this town has too many stubborn women!"

"I am not stubborn!" She laughed. "It's my job!"

David's eyebrows quirked, and shook his head, "It isn't your job to go into a burning building, with explosions going off!" He remembered the last few minutes and knew he was lucky. He looked at Regan, and shook his head, he could believe this woman put her life in danger. "You do know that is the job of the fire fighters!"

"True. And it isn't your job either! What were you doing there? Meeting someone at the surf club?"

"Not exactly." He murmured.

Seeing that he was not keen on telling her anything, she said, " Anyway, it is my job to see if people are ok." She reached forward and just took his wrist.

He was surprised to find that she was not easily diverted. "You really are a pushy doctor!" He chuckled again.

"Just part of the skill-set for all doctors!" She began to take his pulse. She was expecting to see his pulse racing, but his pulse was nearly normal. Obviously a man who can handle adversities, she thought. She knew her own pulse was still racing, given her recent misadventure and the utter calamity. Reviewing the episode with the police was a bit like being back there, inside in a burning building: that smell, the sound of the explosions, the fright. The accelerated, staccato, beat of her heart as fear raced through her system re-emerged. She also knew that her voice was a bit hoarse given she inhaled smoke, so she asked him. "Ok, be honest. Breathing ok?"

He nodded. But the paramedics approached them. The paramedics asked the same questions, and a few minutes later, David said, "So, doc?"

She shook her head and sigh, "You are ok, given everything." She coughed.

"What about you?" David studied her face.

"Me?" Regan frowned and coughed again.

"Yes, you and you have guts! Fearless. Courageous. Noble. But are you ok?"

"Thanks for the compliments!" She smiled. "I am ok, honestly. Just coughing for attention!" But her pulse was still racing. He quirked a brow. "I was barely inside that building." She shrugged, which was not actually true.

"Which brings me back to my original questions, why?"

"I guess the same reasons that you had."

He chuckled. "You know, for some reason, I always assumed you were quiet!"