Part 59

They bumped into each other over the next couple of weeks, and on each occasion he was deliberately, though subtly, vitriolic. It didn't matter what company was present, he simply used the opportunity to snipe at her. Unfortunately, she found it wearing and it really hurt. He seemed to find it easy to cut into her. She was sure that if she didn't care so much it wouldn't hurt so much.

After some thought she decide that avoidance was the better strategy. If she saw him she ducked into shops or crossed the road. Of course it didn't take Gray long to figure out that she was deliberately avoiding him. And that was annoying!

Unfortunately for Regan, she wasn't able to avoid Gray at the annual fayre.

A very pregnant Mairie and Lucy had dragged Regan into Waikanae and they went to the annual fayre. They'd bumped into Gray and Sam.

"Hey!" Lucy waved at them, beckoning them over. Regan could see the reluctance on Gray's face, which no doubt mirrors her attitude, but she also saw the smile in Sam's eyes.

A smile ghosted her lips as she took in Gray's dress code. Casual and still very much the man who made her heart race. She wondered whether she would ever stop feeling like this..

"Mairie. Lucy. Regan." Sam beamed. He was pleased to see Regan and have a chance to talk to her. In the last few weeks, he was pretty sure she avoided any contact with him, Gray or Loretta. And he was sure it was Gray's presence. "Lovely to see you all."

"Regan, Lucy, Mairie" Muttered Gray, as the women smiled at the group. He knew Mairie was Lucy's friend. He was annoyed that his pulse was racing, again, all because he was talking to Regan.

"Good to see you. Looking good boys!" True to form, Mairie teased as if they were good friends. "Farming obviously suits you, Gray. Where's Loretta?" She looked around expecting to see Loretta close by.

Regan was tempted to ask Gray about Caro, where was she?

"She's with John." Gray smiled at Mairie, his eyes twinkled with charm, "Pregnancy suits you." He was determined not to look at Regan and take an inventory. He had seen her in town recently, but she was quick to change her directions. In the last few weeks, he noted she would cross the road, or duck into a shop. Her actions infuriate him. And he hated the fact that he reacted to her snubs. He should be able to ignore her and her actions, his brain said. No chance, his heart contradicted his head.

"Thanks." Mairie grinned, and stroked the top of her abdomen, "I feel good." She tipped her head, "So who is John?" Mairie probed without any hesitancy.

"Her boyfriend of three days." Gray replied drolly.

"That's great." Regan could stop her grin and Gray's pulse escalated when he saw the joy in her eyes. Obviously she was pleased to hear that Lore had a boyfriend.

"I've been telling Regan there are decent dateable men in Waikanae" Mairie enlightened both men.

Sam chuckled. "Yes, plenty of decent guys here."

"Looking for decent women." Gray added dryly as he squashed the unwelcome sensations while he watched Regan.

"And what?" Lucy challenged and smiled happily, "Are you saying there aren't any decent women around?" She pouted.

Mairie threw in her two cents, "I'm affronted. Really offended!"

"You're married! Lucy is engaged." Gray told her with a teasing snort and then pointed out with a charming grin. "Therefore unavailable."

Mairie nodded her head in Regan's direction. "What about Regan? She's single and decent and available. And gorgeous!"

Gray said nothing, waited a heartbeat expecting Regan to challenge him. That puzzled Mairie and she scowled. Lucy knew more about the situation between Regan and Gray and said nothing